Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what point do you....

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:25 AM
  • 8 Replies

take your child to the doctors?  I'm a first time momma, and i don't want to be one of those ladies who when my child just coughs am running him to the emergency room.... Last night he was screaming almost all day, spiting up almost entire bottles... he just spit up some of his morning bottle now but he isn't screaming about it like he did yesterday, and he is passing gas like crazy, and he just cooed. :)  He never had a fever or anything, I just don't know if I should call them or just count it as a bad day for everyone... when do you call the doctor?

I'm a first time momma getting in tune with these motherly instincts. I'm a mother to a very active little boy, he is 2 months now, and I am in love with that little monkey!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tes1proudmomma
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I would think that as long as he was having wet diapers he was getting enough to eat.

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
lujenem3
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:29 AM

How old is your little one? Was he spitting up or actually vomiting? One of the main concerns is making sure he doesn't get dehydrated. There seems to be a lot of bugs running around this winter and they are hitting kids kinda hard, but without a fever or other symptoms, he's sounding more like possibly colic than anything else. Couldn't hurt to call the doctor if he keeps it up. GOOD LUCK!!

lujenem3

Jademom07
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Whenever you are in doubt, call the doctor.  Even after hours they should have an on call doc that can answer your questions and tell you whether or not to take them to the er.  You really just have to trust your instincts.  Think about what you would want if you were in little ones position.  They don't look down on you for calling for every little sneeze and they would rather head off a bad thing than to let it wait and get worse. 

czchtaclo13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Your worried about your child. There is no such thing as making something small into something big. You care about him and hes sick. The worst thing that can happen is they say its nothing and not to worry. I would take him!! Hope your little man feels better. You can never be too safe with little ones!

baby in sling Mommy to Camden Micail 6/25/08

IndyDependent
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:37 AM

If it seems like pain (in this case maybe trapped gas or colic), along with fever, being not as active (he's not acting right), then it wouldn't hurt to call the doctor.  Maybe they will give you some suggestions over the phone first.  There are drops for gas although my kids are so old I can't tell you what they are for sure.   Make sure you are burping him well to get out the air bubbles or that can make it all come back out.  He may be swallowing too much air when he feeds which would cause the gas too.  Try some different positions to get him to burp more often.  How often do you burp him in one feeding?  Every child is different, but don't hold back asking questions because there are NO bad questions!  have a nice day

bonitamomma3
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:52 AM

That's the problem.  He will scream and scream at you if you try to stop his eating halfway to burp.  so because he is screaming he won't burp... I think he has acid reflux, cause he has all the symptoms, I think i might call the doctor anyway.  Like you ladies said what will it hurt, the worse they'll say is it's nothing..

Quoting IndyDependent:

If it seems like pain (in this case maybe trapped gas or colic), along with fever, being not as active (he's not acting right), then it wouldn't hurt to call the doctor.  Maybe they will give you some suggestions over the phone first.  There are drops for gas although my kids are so old I can't tell you what they are for sure.   Make sure you are burping him well to get out the air bubbles or that can make it all come back out.  He may be swallowing too much air when he feeds which would cause the gas too.  Try some different positions to get him to burp more often.  How often do you burp him in one feeding?  Every child is different, but don't hold back asking questions because there are NO bad questions!  have a nice day

I'm a first time momma getting in tune with these motherly instincts. I'm a mother to a very active little boy, he is 2 months now, and I am in love with that little monkey!

IndyDependent
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:04 AM

There will be a magic point where he is full enough, but not all the way done eating, and you will just have to let him scream or get up and walk with him while you burp him or sing or something to get his mind off of what he's missing.  Screaming is ok at 2 months, but you don't want him to keep throwing it back up.  Acid reflux?  I don't know all the symptoms, but it definitely could be as simple as burping.  Let us know what you find out and good luck!

itsnotaboutm765
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Sounds like he just had a bad day.  If he has no fever and is still peeing then I would say just wait

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)