Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Parents don't care about their kids they only think about themselves.

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:43 AM
  • 63 Replies

Poll

Question: What are your thoughts? Why are children so wild now days?? (like the ones that are killing their families, stealing and so on)

Options:

Because alot of parents only care about themselves

the fact that most of the time there is not a parent at home at all times

the goverment makes people scared to disipline in fear of losing their child.

OTHER (please explain)

the amount of processed foods people put into their kids

people are scared to disipline AND parents don't get to spend enough time at home with their kids because they have to work

to many parents spoil their child and lavish them with to much stuff.

Parents don't teach that conciqunces for actions

It could be any of these

it's a mix of everything

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 245

View Results

Ok there was a conversation going on about why kids are so wild now-a-days. The op stated it's because

"So many parents these days (single parents especially) are so worried about themselves and their relationships or lack thereof,"

I just don't get it. Last i knew it's because kids can't get the attention they need because of the fact most families HAVE TO HAVE 2 working parents. It's day cares that raise our children and also because the goverment can't keep their noses out of our lives MANY parents are AFRAID to disipline in fear it could be titled "abuse".

What are your thoughts? Why are children so wild now days?? (like the ones that are killing their families, stealing and so on)

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsnotaboutm765
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I voted other I think alot of it has to do with the amount of processed foods people put into their kids.  Along with some of it being pure discipline issues.

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:46 AM

bump

kachinav4
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:47 AM

i don't for a second think it's b/c  of parents being to interested in themselves...i think its more the oppisite...Parents are moreso afraid to parent b/c they don't want to be to hard, or they want their children to be friends with them instead of respecting them. Also parents are not allowed to really dicipline their children anymore without someone having something to say. Children are not taught to respect ppl, and even in school the teachers are not able to give them any form of dicipline, the can't keep them in at recess b/c it's mean, they can't hold them back b/c it's not teaching self esteem.

star506
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:47 AM

I voted other. There is a lack of disiplin and kids are acting out for the attention. there are so many factors we could all sit and list.

VerucaSallt
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:50 AM

It's nature AND nurture.  Some are mentally ill.  Others have terrible home lives.  Apathetic, uninterested parents.  I think it is a myriad of reasons, but i don't think daycare children has anything to do with it.

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:50 AM

agreed....i can't belive so many moms think it's because parents are self absorbed....

Quoting kachinav4:

i don't for a second think it's b/c  of parents being to interested in themselves...i think its more the oppisite...Parents are moreso afraid to parent b/c they don't want to be to hard, or they want their children to be friends with them instead of respecting them. Also parents are not allowed to really dicipline their children anymore without someone having something to say. Children are not taught to respect ppl, and even in school the teachers are not able to give them any form of dicipline, the can't keep them in at recess b/c it's mean, they can't hold them back b/c it's not teaching self esteem.

SCmommy106
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I think it is a combination of the majority of parents having to both work, not being able to dpen enough time with their kids, and people being so afraid to dicipline their kids becsause everyone is so "call cps" happy these days!

zianneaaliyah
by HBIC of ME on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I put other. I think it's because parents don't want to disappoint their children. 

honey5
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:52 AM

i think it might have to do with parents wanting their children to like them- so they don't disapline them. or kids get in trouble and parents come to the rescue, because MY child would never do that thinking! my son's teacher was afraid to tell me he wasn't behaving in school, she kept dancing around the subject until i said i'm not a parent that believes my child can do no wrong. then she started talking away!haha

zillionaire
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I voted other.  I think that it is the exact opposite of the original statement.  So many parents are absolutely obsessed with their children.  Their entire lives revolve around their children.  I call it the first baby syndrome... you know, a woman has a baby and suddenly she is the first woman to ever give birth.  The children grow up selfish and with an inflated sense of self-importance.  They aren't taught to consider others.  If there's a problem in school, it's the teacher's fault.  If there's a problem with their friends, it's the other parent's fault.  Too many parents put too much time and energy into making excuses for their perfect children instead of teaching them to be responsible for their own actions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN