Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids with ADHD....

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:00 AM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: How well does your child do academically?

Options:

Very well...above grade level

Average

A bit behind...

Other..let me explain....

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

I have a question about kids who have been diagnosed with ADHD. Do your kids excel academically or do they have trouble in that area? Also, how long did it take before he/she was diagnosed? How many doctor's visits did they attend before being diagnosed?

Thanks!!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsnotaboutm765
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:03 AM

My son does very well academically he is above his grade level they are discussing advancing him a grade next year.  The issue he has is shutting up and sitting still..lol he is 6 and that is the only complaint the teacher ahs.  she said she doesn't know how he learns but obviously he does.lol

When he was 18 months old the doctor had suspisions.lol I think he was 3 when she actually said he had it though. 

We don't treat with medication.  we do 12 hours of sleep and good foods and vitamens.  It makes it managable.

afilip
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I knew when my daughter was 3. But they wouldn't test her till she was in Kindergarten. We tried the special diets and stuff but it didn't work. So we put her on Concerta. Shes been on it ever since she's 11 now. She does very well in school. Some A's and some B's.

As far as Doctor visit's go. I only have to take her every 3 months to keep an eye on her weight.Monthly calls to get her prescription Her side effect is she doesnt want to eat but other than the hardest part is some teachers. Alot of the older one's don't believe the kids are worth teaching. I've had some awesome teacher for my daughter and some really bad one's.

angelwings63050
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I have two children that have ADHD. My oldest has been held back twice. He has a hard time concentrating. My second child is struggling in reading but her biggest issues are that she does not know when to be quiet and she gives up to easily. Her father has taught her that. He has dyslexia and refuses to try and read. My daughter has tried to tell me that she has the same problem. But she doesn't we have had her tested again and again!

soccermomof2490
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM

My daughter was diagnosed in sept of o8.. we have been doing the special diets and the threapy sessons but nothing is working and she is really struggling in school right.. she is getting ready to turn eight.. we go back to the doctor on Feb 6th and they are going to start her on Concerta so we will see...

MamaCeleste0722
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM

My daughter hasADHD. She is doing A LOT better than she was before.. She still struggles with some aspects like reading, handwriting and visual discrimination (she has a visual pereption disablity).

We had an idea when she was 3. She was seen by a neuropscyhologist at 3, and then was seen by another neuropsychologist, and another doctor before she was officially diagnosed at 5.

Crystallynn
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:16 AM

we had suspicions when my son was 4, but they wouldnt even beging to test him until he got suspended from preschool.  Then in Kindergarten when he got suspended again- the diagnoses was official.  He has AHDH and ODD.  We tried not medicating him, but after being suspended a couple of times, and they were going to hold him back a year, we decided to try the meds.  We tried ritalin, Concerta and now he is on Adderall.  The adderall helps him alot.  He does very well in school and he absorbs information like a sponge.  He gets better the older he gets, but he also knows when he has reached in "point".  We have a 504 plan at the school that allows special circumstances for him if he needs it.  If he needs to seperate himself from the rest of the class because he is feeling overwhelmed, he can.  He is a good kid, but without meds, you can look at him, and it is like there is a completely child there.  I fought for a long time with Dr's and with the school.  This is the first year that things have gone smoothly for the most part.  Austin is 8 yrs old and he is in the 3rd grade.  I fought for so long to get him where he is today.  Now, we are getting ready to move, and my fight will start over again...........

TheresaMomof9
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Oldest dxed with ADD (no 'H') Once we figured out how to manage it (was dxed about 12-tried medication for a year--didn't help--worked on manipulating the environment, diet and other strategies (adequate sleep ) he's done GREAT! There was a time when we were trying to figure this out where I was super frustrated and confused, wondering what this meant, but not anymore. 

He's super smart--did well on standardized tests, and after he figured out he needs to apply himself in school, (duh!) earned a full tuition, 4 year scholarship to the college of his choice!!He  is always go-go-go with new, creative ideas, was social chair for his fraternity last year, started a small business while in college. These kids think OUTSIDE the box and are the entrepreneur/inventor type I think. Don't be discouraged with a diagnosis. It's just a PART of who they are and they have tremendous potential!

{{hugs}} T.

Michelle2003mom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I have been wondering about ADHD. My son just turned 6 on Jan 10th. He is in kinder. And, he's doing very badly. Teacher tells him to do something and he wont do it. He runs around every where and is doing badly on his academics. She said he would rather be fixing stuff than learning. She said that he is a little OCD on things. 

Does this sound like what you are all going through?

party_of_5
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:46 AM

My oldest was diagnosed with ADHD in Nov of 07. We tried a few different meds & finally found one that works for him. He's 7. The only draw back's is that he is a little small weight wise & doesn't have much of an appetite sometimes. He still has times when he has issue's with talking. He's above average on everything. They are going to test him more towards the end of this yr for the gifted/talented program. They tested him in kindergarten, but he just didn't quiet have it, which I was told it's hard for a kindergartner. He's so super smart & loves to learn. My DD is showing signs of a milder ADHD& she's 5.

Kat770
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM

When I was a kid I was diagnosed with ADD (my doctors said the H part was disputable for me).  I did very well when I tried.  My concentration always sucked and I haaaated studying, but always managed to pass and do well in most of my classes.  Math and some sciences were most difficult for me, but history and language classes were a breeze.  Graduated high school a year early (I took a couple correspondence classes so I could hurry up and start college) with a 3.3 GPA and graduated community college (just an AA degree, haven't gone back to finish my BA yet) with a 3.0 GPA.  I took some medicine through middle school (off and on), but quit probably around 9th or 10th grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)