Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Claiming dependants*

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM
  • 5 Replies

So, my daughter is on Medicaid. Her dad wants to claim her on his taxes this year but he's afraid that when he does, they're going to look at his income and come after him for all the stuff they paid for. His name is on the birth certificate, and they never asked me anything about the income of the father. They only asked me if we live together. What do you think ladies?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bxbsmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I believe you need to claim her...especially since she's on medicaid.  You need to file head of household.

jessicer421
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I don't work. I'm not eligable to claim her.

Quoting bxbsmommy:

I believe you need to claim her...especially since she's on medicaid.  You need to file head of household.

bxbsmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:59 AM

oh, ok...then I'm not really sure. I believe that with medicaid you have to be supporting the child at 51% or something like that...if that's what you told them I don't think it would matter how much he makes...I think you need to talk to a tax advisor because I'm not really sure.

Quoting jessicer421:

Quoting bxbsmommy:

jessicer421
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:16 AM

oh ok! Thanks for the advise!

Quoting bxbsmommy:

oh, ok...then I'm not really sure. I believe that with medicaid you have to be supporting the child at 51% or something like that...if that's what you told them I don't think it would matter how much he makes...I think you need to talk to a tax advisor because I'm not really sure.

Quoting jessicer421:

Quoting bxbsmommy:

Nebraskaoma
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:17 AM

From the IRS website:

The fifth test is the support test. To claim a dependency exemption for a person as your qualifying relative, you generally must provide more than half of that person's total support during the calendar year in which your tax year begins.

Blessings,
~~Pat

Owner - AUTISM...Newcomers Club

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)