Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what the hell is wrong with the world now days?????

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:24 AM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think the eletric company should be held at least partailly responsible for his death?

Options:

yes

no

unsure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 74

View Results

OK this shit right here pisses me off:

AP
posted: 2 HOURS 18 MINUTES AGO
comments: 2378
filed under: National News
Text SizeAAA
BAY CITY, Mich. (Jan. 26) - A 93-year-old man froze to death inside his home just days after the municipal power company restricted his use of electricity because of unpaid bills, officials said.
Marvin E. Schur died "a slow, painful death," said Kanu Virani, Oakland County's deputy chief medical examiner, who performed the autopsy.
Neighbors discovered Schur's body on Jan. 17. They said the indoor temperature was below 32 degrees at the time, The Bay City Times reported Monday.
"Hypothermia shuts the whole system down, slowly," Virani said. "It's not easy to die from hypothermia without first realizing your fingers and toes feel like they're burning."
A city utility worker had installed a "limiter" device to restrict the use of electricity at Schur's home on Jan. 13, said Bay City Manager Robert Belleman. The device limits power reaching a home and blows out like a fuse if consumption rises past a set level. Power is not restored until the device is reset.
There was no word Monday whether the device had blown out or confirmation of the amount Schur owed to Bay City Electric Light & Power; city officials did not respond to a call seeking comment.
Belleman said he didn't know if anyone made personal contact with Schur to explain how the device works.
The body was discovered by neighbor George Pauwels Jr., who said Schur had almost $1,100 in unpaid electric bills. Pauwels told the newspaper he saw cash clipped to those bills on the kitchen table on the day he found Schur's body.
"His furnace was not running, the insides of his windows were full of ice the morning we found him," Pauwels told the Bay City News.
Belleman said city workers keep the limiter on houses for 10 days, then shut off power entirely if the homeowner hasn't paid utility bills or arranged to do so.
He said Bay City Electric Light & Power's policies will be reviewed, but he didn't believe the city did anything wrong.
"I've said this before and some of my colleagues have said this: Neighbors need to keep an eye on neighbors," Belleman said. "When they think there's something wrong, they should contact the appropriate agency or city department."
Schur had no children and his wife had died several years ago.
Bay City is on Saginaw Bay, just north of the city of Saginaw in central Michigan.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2009-01-26 14:51:15

IM SORRY BUT THIS IS JUST WRONG!!!! IN MOST STATES THEY CANNOT SHUT OFF YOUR ELECTRIC DURING WINTER MONTHS!! AND FFS THE GUY WAS 93 and HAD MONEY READY TO GO OUT... TAPED TO THE BILLS!!! HIS NIEGHBORS SHOULDVE BEEN HELPING HIM OUT... BUT F*CK THAT ELECTRIC COMPANY! DUMBASSES!!!
sorry vent over what do you think?
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sexylady34
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I cannot believe that a neighbor did not notice he had no lights on in his house...for god sakes the man was 93 someone should have helped him...Neighbors just aint like they use to be!..The electric company could care less all they want is dollars!! sorry SOB's!!!

zillionaire
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:27 AM

There are a lot of people who, if not exactly responsible, should at least feel ashamed of themselves. 

acampbell31207
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:28 AM

as far as I have understood, atleast in MA where I am from, it is illegal to shut the source of heat off in the winter months in a household that provides proof that there is a abby under the age of one or an elderly person. do they not have the same law in this state?

momto2too
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Its a very sad story, thats for sure.  But, the electric co is a private company, making $$.  They are NOT govt ran, so they are not required to heat for free.  The man owed them over $1000.  Perhaps family should've stepped in.  OR he could've asked for help from a church or shelter.  IDO, it stinks that this happens, but I don't think the electric co should be help responsible.  As a societyy, we are all too often looking for someone to blame for our own problems.  JMO

itsnotaboutm765
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I think the power company should.  That is just BS how did no one know this poor old man had no power :O(

kaker104
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Thats ridiculous. If I noticed that w/my neighbor, I'd be over there bugging him to come over. But that's the type of person I am.

itsnotaboutm765
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM

At 93 he obbviously couldn't work and maybe he had no one.  Why as a society should we allow our elders to suffer like this.. No matter how much he owed.

Quoting momto2too:

Its a very sad story, thats for sure.  But, the electric co is a private company, making $$.  They are NOT govt ran, so they are not required to heat for free.  The man owed them over $1000.  Perhaps family should've stepped in.  OR he could've asked for help from a church or shelter.  IDO, it stinks that this happens, but I don't think the electric co should be help responsible.  As a societyy, we are all too often looking for someone to blame for our own problems.  JMO

mom_4kiddos
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:32 AM

It's illegal to shut of the gas and electic in the winter months here in Wi Whther you have kids or not.

VerucaSallt
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Same here in NJ...

Quoting mom_4kiddos:

It's illegal to shut of the gas and electic in the winter months here in Wi Whther you have kids or not.

lilmaiyagirl
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Like I said in the other post, if he had paid the bills it never would have been shut off.I am sure he got noitces about his power being shut off before they actually shut it off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)