Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 year old and not eating

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:56 AM
  • 6 Replies

my 2 and a half year old is not eating lately, At first I thought it was a phase as he would only eat cheese sticks,  PB sandwiches and dry cereal for the last 2- 3 weeks, well yesterday he only ate a few bites of fruit loops in the morning, I brought him to BK for lunch and gave him french fries and chicken nuggets and he would not even touch those.  He has not eaten anything since yesterday morning.  I gave him a banana this morning as that is what he wanted and he has not even touched it yet.  he hada cup of OJ to drink and that is it.   I'm really starting to get worried about him.  He is a little sick with the cold but that is it.  he wont eat dinner or lunch just breakfast. all he wants is juice and cheese. I am done giving him juice as I know it will fill him up so he only has water and he wont drink it.  I'm not sure if I should just let him be and let him eat when he is ready or bring him in to the doctors to see if maybe something is wrong, This is so not like him, he would always eat with us and try what we made but now he wont.  he's really skinny too, he is only 28 pounds and not gaining any weight.   what would you do?

Nicole
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kksmommy23
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I wouldnt worry too much about it.  As long as he is drinking he will be fine.  He'll eat when he is hungry.  Good Luck!

MrS.Nettles
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:00 AM
My son went through the same thing about 5 months ago he had a cold and did want to eat because he had a sore throat so I gave him some pedalite to keep him hydrated and let him eat what he felt like eating then he came around it took him about 2 and a half weeks now he's eating me out of house and home
wiener
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM

bump

Nicole
clayaustinsmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:03 AM

my son is the same way.. hes diet is; cherrios, yogart sometimes, pizza, chicken nuggets, top ramin, bananas, french fries... he doesnt eat very much and the doctor said it was normal.. i dont like it... it makes me feel like i am doing something wrong or he is sick all the time or something.. so it is normal.. they just get to the point that they dont eat a lot.. and then after a couple weeks or months they will start to eat normal again..

AidanTiarra
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM
  1. even a cold can make them not want to eat, if he starts to lose weight or get really sick I would take him to the doctor, otherwise I would not worry. Kids go through phases like that and they naturally know how much their body needs at any given time. my three year old has gone from eating anything and everything we give him to eating 2 or 3 bites once a day and then nothing else but milk, and back again, my 2 year old does the same thing. Just offer him healthy choices and let him decide how much and what and when to eat. Don't get me wrong I don't go and cook my kids a meal whenever they want but I do not force them to eat if they don't want to, they just know that they can always get fruit or cheese, etc if they get hungry between meals.
krazynellie
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM

It is a phase. Your biggest concern is fluids. Make sure he drinks. Offer him foods but unless you want a picky eater don't use this time to only give him junk so he will eat. My ex SIL's son would never eat so she took him to the dr. The dr said Kids will not starve themself. So keep offering regular foods at meal times. He will eat when he is hungry. But 2-3 yrs olds hardly eat I swear.

Do you want someone to talk to laste at night when you can't sleep? Click my siggy to join:

Do you love showing off your kids and the different things they do? Click my siggy and join now!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)