Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Get...A...Job

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:58 AM
  • 208 Replies

URGH!!!

Am I seriously the only person left who thinks providing for their famiy is THEIR responsibility and NOT The governments??  My neice just called and is whining to me because she has used all her assistance, food stamps, etc and has no money until her BF gets paid Monday (next Monday).  She is not married and has a 16 month old so she gets a lot of assistance.  So I'm talking to her and she's complaining so I say "Oh here's an idea, GET A JOB".  Her response "No I think I'll go to the WIC office and tell them Chris (her BF) doesn't live her anymore so I don't have his financial support and maybe they will up my cash assistance".  WHAT!?!?  She stays at home on her butt ALL Day.  She does NOTHING For money and is not that great of a mother (I can say this because I KNOW). Her BF works at Lowe's Wed - Sunday so she could EASILY get a job Mon, Tues and nights to off set his schedule to bring in a LITTLE money but she won't. 

Instead she thinks she is deserving of being a SAHM and having the government (AKA ME) support her because she doesn't WANT to work.  I want to stay home, but I can't.  I Can't because we can't afford it and if I did we probably would NEED assistance, but not qualify and therefor I would NEVER chose to stay home and expect someone else to pay for it!  It's not that she WANTS to be a SAHM she's just LAZY, and has said may times "I just don't LIKE working".  Well welcome to the damn club.  URGH.  People who abuse the system irk the crap out of me and it just bothers me even more that someone RELATED to me is doing it.

I ripped her a new one as usual because I can, and hung up.  I'm seriously half tempted to report her for abuse of the system (if you can even do that) but I know I would be harming my great neice in the process and don't want to...OK I feel better now...well a little

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:58 AM
Replies (1-10):
mommyslate
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Bump

3armycuties
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:03 AM

LOL, I'm only laughing because atleast you have enough self-control to NOT report her. I would have already made the call and then thought about it later. Your right though, I'm a SAHM because we can afford for me to be. If not, I would NEVER stay home and I don't expect someone else to take care of them financially. These are our kids and I can work to help take care of them.

Josslynsmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:05 AM

This is definitely a tough and touchy subject. I am also a SAHM of a 16 month old. I cannot work because of her health. I've tried to get a job and every time an interview is set up, she gets admitted-it hasn't failed yet! I am also a single mom, and young. We live with my sister who is an RN and works full time. So I am the nanny and care taker of her 2 kids and the house. It works out well for now but I have had to resort to relying on assistance. Because my dd is disabled, she gets SSI and her sperm donor pays child support.

On a side note: If my daughter's health was perfectly normal I would def be working full time again and living on our own. I couldn't imagine having a perfectly healthy child and struggling to provide for her just because I want to stay home-kind of selfish I think.

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM

My husband works, I SAH with our daughter and she's on medicaid and I use the WIC that she gets automatically with her Medicaid.  Does that mean I need to get a job? 

*EDIT*  I have a nice lengthy story, in case you do think I need to get a job....lol.

~Jill~

relosansil
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:07 AM

That pisses me off too... I was a sahm mom until hubby lost his company, now that he does not make enough for the 4 of us, I am getting a part time job at night to help and not pay day care. I am applying for assistant, but I HOPE AND PRAY, I only stay with it for no more than 6 months, until me and hubby get back on our feet. We had the kids, we are supposed to provide for them....

mommyslate
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:07 AM

See you have a very valid reason, and at least you do something with your days.  I get at least 4 texts a day from her "I'm bored, what are u doing".  I'm WORKING!!!  LOL.  Sorry that anger is not directed to you...

Quoting Josslynsmommy:

This is definitely a tough and touchy subject. I am also a SAHM of a 16 month old. I cannot work because of her health. I've tried to get a job and every time an interview is set up, she gets admitted-it hasn't failed yet! I am also a single mom, and young. We live with my sister who is an RN and works full time. So I am the nanny and care taker of her 2 kids and the house. It works out well for now but I have had to resort to relying on assistance. Because my dd is disabled, she gets SSI and her sperm donor pays child support.

On a side note: If my daughter's health was perfectly normal I would def be working full time again and living on our own. I couldn't imagine having a perfectly healthy child and struggling to provide for her just because I want to stay home-kind of selfish I think.

Smcclellan7080
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I agree with this, I stay home because we can afford for me to. But I know people like the OP's niece!!! Sad that they think someone owes them something. She needs to get off her butt and get a job, because someone is going to end up reporting her, expecially is she tells people she does things like that!

Quoting 3armycuties:

LOL, I'm only laughing because atleast you have enough self-control to NOT report her. I would have already made the call and then thought about it later. Your right though, I'm a SAHM because we can afford for me to be. If not, I would NEVER stay home and I don't expect someone else to take care of them financially. These are our kids and I can work to help take care of them.

Strong opinions?  Like a good debate? Join us @ Just for Drama http://www.cafemom.com/group/37802

GROUP OWNER!!

DaisyAg2003
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I am a SAHM of 4 young kids.  If I couldn't afford to stay home with them, then you can bet that I would be out working.  We are blessed enough to be able for me to stay home with them.

I agree with you, your niece needs to get a job.

jeskaM
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:09 AM

you know people like that really piss me off..ugh...im a SAHM but only because it wouldnt be worth working because of child care.  Even though I do not get government assistance, sometimes I still feel like a leech.  I swear some people have no morals 

a_l_daigle
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I really despise people like this, lazy bitches...sorry

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

…Thomas Jefferson

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)