Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Caylee Anthony doll? darling or not?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM
  • 54 Replies

Poll

Question: Darling or not

Options:

Darling

No

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 197

View Results

Monday, January 26, 2009

A novelty toy company has released something called the "Inspirational Caylee Doll" to honor deceased toddler Caylee Marie Anthony. Is it in poor taste?

cayleedoll.jpg

Getty Images

Just when you thought the Caylee Anthony story couldn't get any sadder or sicker, a "tribute" doll has gone on sale in honor of the slain toddler. Called the "Caylee Sunshine Doll," it is now available for purchase from Showbiz Promotions for $29.95. The website proclaims:
"This doll is to remind you that Caylee Marie is safe in Heaven, embraced in loving arms forever!" OK, but it's also designed to make someone some money. Jaime Salcedo, president of Showbiz Promotions, says he will donate a portion of the profits to charity ... but he has yet to say which one. 

There's a lot wrong with marketing a doll based on a murdered little girl, but what strikes us first is that the doll looks nothing like Caylee. Caylee had brown hair and brown eyes while this platinum blonde and blue-eyed doll is shockingly similar to the "Amanda" doll distributed by Springfield Collection doll line. Salcedo claims he is deliberately not selling a doll that looks exactly like Caylee because it would be too morbid and difficult for the public. Or maybe he got a good deal on Amanda dolls, which are often sold at Michaels arts and crafts stores.

caylee-comparision.jpg

And it gets creepier. When the doll's belly button is pushed, it sings the song, "You Are My Sunshine" -- the exact song Caylee is seen singing in a video released by the family early on  in the investigation into her disappearance. 

Do you think this doll shamelessly exploits a murdered girl or is it a loving tribute? Comment below.

Valentines Day 2009
Happily married for 11 yrs...

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jezzabelle718
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM

ick

Jezzabelle718.gif picture by Greyhoundgirl1977

KYChica
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM

If they're going to do this then they need to make a doll for every other missing , abused & murdered child. Besides it doesn't even look like her...

Jademom07
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM

While I do think that it is in poor taste, he's donating all the profits to charity. 

sweets3075
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM

hell no. i think it is very morbid. if i was the family i would sue that company.

Amaris_amor
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I agree... I think it might be cuter if she actually looked like her. I don't like the whole idea personally and I wouldn't buy. I would just donate actually money to whatever charity the money will be going to.

1luvmylife

ditto!

Quoting sweets3075:

hell no. i think it is very morbid. if i was the family i would sue that company.

lilspoiledbaby

AGREE

Quoting KYChica:

If they're going to do this then they need to make a doll for every other missing , abused & murdered child. Besides it doesn't even look like her...

Mommy to 4 boys!!!!

sweets3075
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Quoting Jademom07:

While I do think that it is in poor taste, he's donating all the profits to charity. 

i watched him on nancy grace last night and he was stumbling through the interview when she asked him what charity it was going to and how much of the profit will be donated. he is a liar and a disgusting man.

tes1proudmomma

I think it's disgusting!

DOn't get me wrong it was a horrible thing that happened to her but if they are going to honor her by doing that then they should do it for all the other kids that have went missing and killed...

nanaT2
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:18 AM

What the guy said was he was donating a portion of the profits to charity and didn't know which ones at this time. Thats a scam in my book. Besides what if he decided to give it to Casey Anthony and you bought one thinking it was going to a charity to Help children, not the parent that may have killed the child. There is no way I would buy this doll

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)