Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Exercise?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:33 AM
  • 10 Replies

So i have been consistently working out for almost 3 weeks the first week i lost about 4 pounds then i ovulated and gained water weight and this week that water weight hasnt gone away why would i gain and how long should it take for results to start to show i work out no less then 30 min a day i take two days off a week but on saturdays and sundays i do two work outs one in the morning one at night.....help?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SWasson
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:37 AM
When you start working out, your muscles can respond by holding onto water. Don't freak, just watch your salt intake, drink plenty of water, and wait a couple more weeks before trying to weigh yourself again.
Jademom07
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Normally it takes 6-8 weeks to make a difference.  I worked out 5 times a week for 11 weeks before I noticed a difference.  Your body is building up muscle which outweighs fat so you may notice your clothes fitting tighter.  Then it will start burning fat and you will start losing weight. 

IsaiahsMommy515
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM

You may have gained muscle weight.  Its even possible that you lost fat weight but gained muscle weight, and since muscle weighs more than fat that could be where the extra pounds are from.  Have you been eating a lot of carbs or salt?  That can make you retain water.  Keep up with your workouts and try not to weigh yourself so much.  Everyones weight is up and down a few pounds even when they work out consistently.  Try only weighing yourself every two weeks so you'll get a better idea of your progress.  Also, weigh yourself at the same time of day.  It can be a 3-4 lb difference for some ppl to weigh themselves in the morning before breakfast versus after dinner.

IsaiahsMommy515
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:39 AM

More muscle also helps speed your metabolism, so even if you havent lost the weight yet working out will build muscle which is great bc you look toned and then that muscle helps you burn up more calories.

Quoting Jademom07:

Normally it takes 6-8 weeks to make a difference.  I worked out 5 times a week for 11 weeks before I noticed a difference.  Your body is building up muscle which outweighs fat so you may notice your clothes fitting tighter.  Then it will start burning fat and you will start losing weight. 

Mandi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I think i have noticed the muscle build a bit more.... i just cant wait for the weight to come off around it. when you lost after the building of muslce slowed how much did you loose right away or does it still takes weeks and weeks after to start seeing the weight really coming off?

Mommy25Boys
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:43 AM

You also have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat.... You have to not worry about the actual numbers on a scale but the way your clothes are fitting your body.... Trust me I know I started my weight loss at 198 lbs and after week 2 I was up to 206 lbs.... I freaked out and went to my trainer tellin her I didn't get it and she said don't worry about the numbers on a scale look at the numbers on a tape... Go by measurements not weight, I bet you notice a difference!

Mandi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:44 AM

i only ask because i have more then just a few pounds to loose.

MrsBLB
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM

This is sooo true, hang in there momma.  Stressing is not good either.  Keep up the good work, you can do it!!!

Quoting Mommy25Boys:

You also have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat.... You have to not worry about the actual numbers on a scale but the way your clothes are fitting your body.... Trust me I know I started my weight loss at 198 lbs and after week 2 I was up to 206 lbs.... I freaked out and went to my trainer tellin her I didn't get it and she said don't worry about the numbers on a scale look at the numbers on a tape... Go by measurements not weight, I bet you notice a difference!

MrsBLB
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:11 PM

You are not alone there...I am starting a routine also! 

Quoting Mandi:

i only ask because i have more then just a few pounds to loose.

Mandi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Thanks ladies! i plan on keeping it up i hope it starts to come off though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)