Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid Dr could have killed my baby!UPDATED

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM
  • 22 Replies

On thursday my 3 1/2 year old daughter came down with a cold.  By Friday night she was throwing up.  And by around noon Saturday she was running a fever of 102.7 (in her armpit)  So i took her into a prime care about 5 min from my house.  I sat in the waiting room for 2 HOURS with my daughter running a hi fever i had the nurse keep checking it while adults with spained ankles or a pulled back got to go in before my daughter.  When we finally do get in there the Dr sent her for Xrays of her lungs to check for phnumonia.  Thankfully it was just an ear infection cause by her cold.  Well he only looked in the left ear and said it was a little red so he would prescribe an antibiotoic for her.  Then i asked him what i should do about her temperature. He replied "Dont even check it.  Just give her tylonal every four hours and dont check it at all, I dont take my kids temps ever"  THANK GOD i did not follow his advice because that night 2 hours after giving my daughter tylonal she felt really hot so i took her temp 103.7 (under her arm) and rising!  So i had her in the bath tub in cold water and i was sponging her off all night just to keep her temp down.  Well when she went to her regular Dr on Monday they told me that she had a DOUBLE ear infection and the other ear that he didnt look at was severely enflamed!! And she said that if i hadnt of caught her temp when i did it prob would have kept rising and my baby could have had seizures, it could have basically fried her brain, and she could have died!!  I am soo pissed i sent a report in to the owner of the company about that Dr.  I mean what if i would have listened to him...What would've happened to my daughter????

EDIT- I had been switching between tylonal and ibprohin since saturday morning.  It wasnt working for her and her temp was rising fast!

Well i decided to write an email to Novant health the owner of the Prime Care where i took my daughter.  The head superviser called me tonite and wanted to discuss my conerns.  She went on to say that the Dr was wrong to say that and that he has been reported to his supervisors and that he was severily reprimanded.  Whatever that means.  She told me that his opinon was that he was just trying to make me feel better because he thought that i was a very concerned mom and that he just wanted me to relax a little bit and not be so stressed out.  So basically they were kissing my ass i suppose.  But she did tell me that she appreciated my call because there has been a complaint about him in the past and she offered to have him call me.  I said no thanks lol i would probably rip him a new one.  But anyways i just wanted to update.  Sorry if i seem a little pissy i have 2 sick kids a 3 yr old and 3 month old and im exhausted :)

~*~Mommys Girls~*~  

~Brianna Collette~3-29-05~Kaitlyn Rose~10-27-08~

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ceryn2082
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM

The antibiotic prescribed for the first ear infection should have taken care of both ears.

If your child ever runs a fever like that you should rotate tylenol and motrin- thats much better at keeping temps down.

You should ask your doctor if he has a doctor(s) he would recomend in the ER thats on call at night  or after 5pm.  My pediatricians office always has a doctor from his practice on call, no matter what time of day/night.

hevtrighapatmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM

im sorry mama but you did the right thing god bless you

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM

some dr's are idiots

stefvan
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Sounds like a whack.  I would check it and alternate between motrin and tylenol.

I do have to say, do not use cold water on a child with a fever.  You could cause her to have a seizure from lowering her temp to quickly - just like it raising to quickly can cause one.

piwife
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:50 AM

my dd has had to freveral seizurethe first one was really bad the seocnd one was very short.

I am a feed your baby what you want, public bf supported,pro-life,pro immigration, lover of animals. co-sleeping ,vaccinating, gun supporter, colombain girl in love with a us. marine (aka my hubby' mistress)
NikkiPhoenix
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I understand it is scary, but a fever of 103/104 will not "fry" her brain. Children can get febrile seisures from temperatures, but they are usually harmless. 

Rotate motrin and tylenol and see a better doctor.  You should keep complaining until you get satifaction that this doctor was reprimanded.  You are your child's best advocate, and if something seems wrong, take her somewhere else.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

"If I am not for me, who will be?  If I am for myself alone, what am I?  If not now, when?"  Pirke Avot 1:14

I might not agree with every choice he made, but they were made with true intentions.

8884sarah0607
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM

thank god she's ok! yeah hun my dr. did almost the same thing. my reg dr was outta town so i had to take my one month old son to a diff one. he had been throwing up all night so i took him to the dr and he said it was a cold and prescribed him medicine it didnt help so we took him back for 3 days he kept saying it was just a cold well i finally just took him to the emergency room and after sitting there for 6 hours i find out that the stomach muscle that controls your food intake  the muscle had closed and he couldnt eat it just kept coming back up! he said he was extremely dehydrated and if i had waited another day he may have died! luckyily they caught it and he is now a happy, healthy, 19 month old

My name is sarah, i am a twenty year old married mother of two. i have beautiful two yr. old girl named kiersten and a awesome little one yr. old man named earl.

toddler boytoddler girl

judy_bug08
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM

sounds like the doctor my oldest went to when he was around 18 months old. He was running a fever, and coughing really bad...i took him in and they said he had chest cold and would go away in a few months...if he was still coughing in 6 months to bring him back...6 MONTHS!!! I found a different doctor. He had a double ear infection, asthma and bronchitis. If i waited 6 months, there is no telling what would have happened.

cssmith
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Quoting 8884sarah0607:

thank god she's ok! yeah hun my dr. did almost the same thing. my reg dr was outta town so i had to take my one month old son to a diff one. he had been throwing up all night so i took him to the dr and he said it was a cold and prescribed him medicine it didnt help so we took him back for 3 days he kept saying it was just a cold well i finally just took him to the emergency room and after sitting there for 6 hours i find out that the stomach muscle that controls your food intake  the muscle had closed and he couldnt eat it just kept coming back up! he said he was extremely dehydrated and if i had waited another day he may have died! luckyily they caught it and he is now a happy, healthy, 19 month old

OMG my little brother had that!  At 6 weeks old he was having surgery because his stomach muscles had grown togther andhe couldnt eat either!  I remember how scary that was!!  wow...

~*~Mommys Girls~*~  

~Brianna Collette~3-29-05~Kaitlyn Rose~10-27-08~

RmeWifey01
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM

......and it is not really a danger until about 106F. Remember you only gave her the 1st dose of medicine so therefore it had not started working yet. Nothing would have happened to your DD, but yes he should have checked BOTH ears. He should have told you to give her either Tylonol or Motrin too for pain. She is your only child, right? I'm asking b/c you seem to be panic-stricken. I have 3 and don't panic as much now as I did w/the 1st. (Except when they fall and hit their heads!)

Quoting NikkiPhoenix:

I understand it is scary, but a fever of 103/104 will not "fry" her brain. Children can get febrile seisures from temperatures, but they are usually harmless. 

Rotate motrin and tylenol and see a better doctor.  You should keep complaining until you get satifaction that this doctor was reprimanded.  You are your child's best advocate, and if something seems wrong, take her somewhere else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)