Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Orleans............If you can't answer please bump.....

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:27 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hi my Fiance and me are going to New Orleans for our Honeymoon. We are from Canada, and we figured if any city could benefit from us spending way too much money that would be the place. We are gonna do a tour of all the old plantations. I was wondering if anyone is from there? I have some questions. Please copy and paste them into your response. If you can't answer please bump.....

Whats the weather like in late november? Is it still warm or is it sweater weather? Can You still swim outdoors? We are used to 68f in the summer and find that to be warm.

What area is dangerous that we should stay away from? (example; crimes, poor neighborhoods, bad roads)

We are staying in the French Quarter(of course) in the Hotel Provincial. Is it nice? Has it recovered from Katrina?

Do you have any recomendations of must see places? (besides the zoo and the aquarium, we are already gonna go there for sure)

Do you have any recomendations for cheap but good cajun restaraunts in the French Quarter? Looks don't matter, but cleanliness does.

Also, is the tap water drinkable? or should we stick to bottled?

Do you know when or if 6flags will reopen?

What is the best shopping center?

Do you have an IMAX?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hannies_momma
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Also what does alligator taste like?

Mezmer
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Just like chicken....Only more chewy.  :)

I went to New Orleans in December 2003.  It was an amazing experience.  We stayed at the Chateau DuMonde (sp?) Hotel in the French Quarter.  It was a block or two from Bourbon Street.  I'm not sure what is still open down there, but if you get a chance to eat at Petunia's...It was delicious.  Hope you have lots of fun!  I did!

Quoting hannies_momma:

Also what does alligator taste like?

~*~Amanda~*~

cajunjenn
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I'm not FROM N.O., but I'm from south of it and go on occasion LOL...I'll try to help out, but I'm sure more native peeps can help ya better 

Whats the weather like in late november? Is it still warm or is it sweater weather? Can You still swim outdoors? We are used to 68f in the summer and find that to be warm.

The weather is never consistant LOL>...one day you'll be in a sweater, the next in shorts (DS was in shorts for Christmas this year LOL).  If you find 68 to be warm you'll either be warm or darn hot 9 outta 10 tho LOL

What area is dangerous that we should stay away from? (example; crimes, poor neighborhoods, bad roads)

First off, every road in south LA is bad LOL...you can even tell on the interstate when you hit LA...you hit bumps.  As for the rest, a native may help more

We are staying in the French Quarter(of course) in the Hotel Provincial. Is it nice? Has it recovered from Katrina?

Again, can't help, sorry

Do you have any recomendations of must see places? (besides the zoo and the aquarium, we are already gonna go there for sure)

There's the Mardi Gras World (museum), there's a new insectarium, the River Walk, the Quarter...lots of haunted tours hehe...and other seasonal things depending on when in Nov for instance, you're going

Do you have any recomendations for cheap but good cajun restaraunts in the French Quarter? Looks don't matter, but cleanliness does.

Idk much in the Quarter, other than going get Cafe AuLait at Cafe'DuMonde...and beignets (mmmm, now I wanna go LOL)

I always drink bottled whereever I go, including home...but that's just me LOL

As far as I know, they're never...they got hit too hard by Katrina...they built it in a swamp LOL!

There are a lot of local shops in the Quarter/Riverwalk...there's a few malls too (Lakeside, Clearview)...someone else can prolly help more

Do you have an IMAX?

The IMAX is in the same building as the Aquarium

I hope I at least helped a little....O, and as far as alligator, and any other seafood...>TRY IT!  You'd be suprised as to how good it tastes =)

in love               playing soccer               butterfly on head
Marlin & Jenn        Seth                     Lillian
7-9-05                  1-30-01               12-20-04

HuntersMomee

ALLIGATOR IS SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!! YOU HAVE TO TRY IT!!!

okay here is my attempt to answer... im not from there, but from Biloxi and have been there a few times...

november is when it starts to get chilly. i dont think the pools will be open at the hotels anymore, but you may get lucky...  but of course down there the 60's is chilly to us... haha

i dont know about all of that... we just stayed downtown in the french quarter and on bourbon

just the history! its amazing. :)

please go to Cafe Du Monde. :) yummy yummy beignets!! :)

other than that i cant remember the names of the places we went, we just stopped when we saw somthing that sounded good

i dont like tap from many places so i just stick to bottle, so i cant help there 

it wont

they have the riverwalk mall..

Do you have an IMAX? yes... its right by the aquarium and you can actually get a combo pack of tickets to go to the imax aquarium and zoo together.

our new baby is either going to be Keira Lynn or Ean (undecided middle) 

Purtyred

Bump

ForeverMeme
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:39 PM

I would find another place to honeymoon. It is scary in the French Quarters especially at night. A high crime area. The weather can be real 'iffy' in November. At night the criminals come out. It can be fun to visit but I would suggest you get out before night time.  It is much worse since Katrina. I have been there since Katrina and yes, it has a great history, with the plantations and the jazz musicians, etc. but I can not even imagine Honeymooning there. My best friend lives 50 miles from New Orleans and it can be fun, but NOT so much in the French Quarters. JMO. 

sexylady34
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM

you will be fine then...In november it can be upper 70 low 50 at night

Just stay away from the allys at night stay on the busy streets.

new orleans is really just a party city...I would go to harrahs (cause I like to gamble) take a haunted tour they are pretty cool..ride the horse and buggys ( you will see them they are on the main drag in french quarter) take a ride on the paddle boats...

Bubba gump shrimp factory...Louis XVI Restaurant very good! you must have some Beignet's at the cafe Beignets on Decatur St...they are excellent!

Also, is the tap water drinkable? or should we stick to bottled? Drinkable

Do you know when or if 6flags will reopen? there is not a six flags in New orleans...

What is the best shopping center? all over up and down the streets there is shopping

Also if you drink you must must must have the drink called "Hand Gernade" awesome! Check out the bar "Cats Meow" alot of fun!

a_l_daigle
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I am from New Orleans, my husband and I got into a kick to go to all the plantations, we started but never finished.  There are a bunch out here. If you want I can PM you later with the list of them that we went to. not much time at work to list and get into it but later this evening I can, let me know.

May I add, stay away from French Quarter Dwelling the crime rate sucks, can't remember the last time I went to the FQ just to have fun.  Get a hotel or plantation away from Central New Orleans

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

…Thomas Jefferson
xmasbaby73
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:44 PM

bump

Mezmer
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I agree, it is scary in the French Quarter at night.  When went out during the day...Ate dinner then went back to our hotel.  This one guy scared the crap outta me walking down the street.  He had that "crazy look" and he was carrying a big knife...Just walking kinda slumped over and quickly...But other than that, we had fun visiting down there.  But if you have your heart set on honeymooning in NO then just do all you can during the day and slip back into your hotel before the sun sets...Wouldn't want the vampires to get you.  ;)

Quoting ForeverMeme:

I would find another place to honeymoon. It is scary in the French Quarters especially at night. A high crime area. The weather can be real 'iffy' in November. At night the criminals come out. It can be fun to visit but I would suggest you get out before night time.  It is much worse since Katrina. I have been there since Katrina and yes, it has a great history, with the plantations and the jazz musicians, etc. but I can not even imagine Honeymooning there. My best friend lives 50 miles from New Orleans and it can be fun, but NOT so much in the French Quarters. JMO. 

~*~Amanda~*~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)