Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this legal?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

My professor assigned the third edition of a textbook for her class but uses a fourth edition with different material for her tests.  A few people have told me this is not legal in Florida but I can't find a specific website to tell me whether this is true or not.  I asked her about it and she told basically told me tough sh*t, that I needed to read my version and then go online to view her review of her edition, which is twice the work.  Can anyone tell me if this is illegal or not?  I think it's very unfair that she has the 3rd edition listed but uses the 4th.  I also paid eighty freakin' bucks for my version which will now be considered outdated and practically worthless in reselling.  Also, can anyone refer me to a link if this is illegal?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RottenFifteener
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Bump.

aidensmom1117
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM

go to the office at your school! Or the guidance counselor! They should have some answers for you!

2boysMoma
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I highly doubt it's 'illegal", but i'm sure if the school admin knew what she was doing they'd be unhappy about it and make her change it.  As it would be messing with gpa's and possible funding for the school.

MyHotComments.comMyHotComments
I'm the candle lady! Check out my profile for more info!
Help a working Momma out....LOL!
necro1134
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:35 PM

i wouldn't say illegal but not moral..id go to the head of the school and talk to them about it, or a guidance counselor

RottenFifteener
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Since I already complained to her directly I am afraid she will know who is lodging a complaint with the school and grade me more harshly because of it.

rhondapayne
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:40 PM

i don't know about illegal, but it definitely seems unethical to me

Rhonda

Rhonda

liha
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:44 PM

It's unethical if not illegal.

itsnotaboutm765
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Pretty sure its not illegal and if you actually read the book it will give you the same info

Ziggy.Stardust
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Quoting 2boysMoma:

I highly doubt it's 'illegal", but i'm sure if the school admin knew what she was doing they'd be unhappy about it and make her change it.  As it would be messing with gpa's and possible funding for the school.

RottenFifteener
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Yes, but an example: Ch. 1 test contained materials from the fourth edition's ch. 8.  No student was notified until after the test had been taken.

Quoting itsnotaboutm765:

Pretty sure its not illegal and if you actually read the book it will give you the same info

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)