Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Venting

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM
  • 5 Replies

Okay so I don't knw i this is the best  place to put this but here goes.

I live in the GREAT state of California (sarcasm).  I am currently unemployeed but my husband does work.  I applied for State assistance-Food Stamps and Medical, only until I can find work.  Which seem impossible right now.  Anyway I have been on state assitance for a few months and yesterday I got a letter stating that my benefits are going to stop on the 31st of Jan. because our income is to high.

What kind of shit is that.  My husband owns his own business with his dad and he brings home $500 a week that is $2000 dollars a month.  Our rent is $750 a month, Gas and Electric run around $200 dollars a month and the water bill is about $115 a month.  I know that this doesn't add up to $2000 but we do have other expenses as well.  We have to pay his dad for our car because we bought it off of him, plus we have to get insurance on the car.  Anyway I get a letter from DHS saying that the minimum income for a family of 5 is $2687 a month, Now keep in mind my husband brings home $500 a week on a good week, that's a week that we don't have to pay his dad or some other bill.  The letter I got from DHS states that out total gross income is $3665 a month.

WHERE IN THE HELL ARE THEY COMING UP WITH THIS NUMBER????  My husband gets paid in cash.  I gave them a letter stating that he gets paid in cash.  It was signed by his dad.  How do they figure we bring home $3665 .

So now my children have to go hungry because DHS can't seem to add correctly.  It's not like I want to be on Welfare forever unlike some people.  I would actually prefer not to be on it at all but until I find work there is no help for it.

Anyway just need to vent.  Thanks for listening.

Crissy

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JAX_Mami
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM

well gross means before taxes but that's a lot of taxes/deductions but that is alot they are taking out. does he have any garnishments or something? have you tried fast food...they are always hiring. sorry you're going through a rough time. I hope it gets better for you. best of luck

BUT

bookwriter4kids
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I know it doesn't seem fair, but I went through this.  It's because of being self imployed and having his dad involved.  It sucks, but it sucks for A LOT of people right now...myself included.  Just hang in there.

CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM

wave

Hi
sexymomofboys,

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!
\The CafeMom Admin Team

sexylady34
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Why are you not working?

mom2acutiepie
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

At least you got assistance for a little while. My husband only makes $1200 a month and that is on a good month. I'm a brittle diabetic and can't work. Our house payment is $900 a month and then we have to pay bills. I have applied for assistance many times but they have told me every time that we make too much money. They have told me we don't qualify because we make more than $200 a month. I actually had the case worker tell me that the only way I could get assistance is if we (my husband, my son and I) were homeless. I'm sorry that this is happening to you, I hope things get better for you soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)