Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have ever had to deal with Lice, read here please

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:22 PM
  • 19 Replies

HELP!!! lol. Freaking out a little!

This is my first experience with it. I got all the bedding sprays from Walmart, and my dd's doc called her in a prescription of OVIDE......anybody used it before? Her hair is Very thick, and curly and I knew those NIX combs wouldn't go through it just using that.

The directions say to apply to dry hair and saturate scalp and behind ears and nape of neck....leave uncovered for 8-12 hours. Then shampoo and rinse and use the comb to get any nits out. I haven't seen any nits yet nor is she scratching yet. Will it hurt her taking all these precautions? I applied it already. And put her stuffed animals in a bag (she cried at that) 

I have done 4 loads of laundry already , all the bedding stuff and our clothes.

How likely is it that I will get it? Ty for any advice and help ladies. Please No bashing....its a childhood curse that just happens I understand that.

Edit: She got it by staying over at a friends house Saturday night......4 girls had a sleepover. All have come down with it.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheabtn
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM

I have had lice NUMEROUS times. Getting the lice depends on how they like your hair. I have gotten it about 7 or 8 times. They love red/brownish thin long straight heir. They will go elsewhere, but if I'm around someone who has it, ive got it.

My advise is clean EVERYTHING. Our last spout we finally had to take apart the entire house and shampoo the carpets, alll stuffed animals went outside for 6 weeks and all bedding was washed in scorching hot water and anything that could be bleached was. If you've got it, its hard work to be sure its gone. But its so worth it.

Also, with her hair, do not depend on the shampoo to kill them, curly hair or not, it needs to be gone through. My stepdaughters hair, I ended up saying eff the combs, and picked them out with my fingernails.

Good luck mama!

ashley_nick30
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Has she been around other kids? U may not get it!! or u might dont for get to clean brushes or just get new ones!!after a few weeks u need to treat her hair again!! and it wont hurt too treat urself

shebearncub
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Thank you Soooooooo much for your kind advice. I am bleaching everything and doing the washing in Scalding water! She cried when I took her stuffed animals away (put them in garbage bag in shed) but I know this stuff can be Very difficult to get rid of! Here is hoping I don't get it..

thebestbrianne

My little sisters got it at school whe nthey were little, I had to help with clean up and I never got it. Use the shampoo, even if there is only one that you can't see, it could be carrying eggs and multiply really fast. Take the precautions and don't panic!

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

LEJOLIE

I was you yesterday LOL same post ( ALMOST)   I WILL BUMO MY POST SO YOU CAN READ THE REPLIES AND MAYBE FIND SOMETHING.

Meissilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:30 PM

You need to treat EVERYONE  in the house.  There are many   natural things you can use as well .  Olive oil  works great and leaves   your hair shinny and  beautiful ,   Get the lice meister comb. LiceMeister Comb.   We have   been there and done that and it works  great and  it gets everything you can see and not see .  The olive oil  helps  comb through it as well . 

jaytee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Leaving the medicine on her hair for that long doesnt sound right to me????? Good luck though.

adri_nevarez
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:32 PM

My dd got them her 1st year in public school and we caught them very early - we only took out 4 nits and no one else in my house got them.  We used the NIX twice - as we followed up 2 weeks later b/c her teacher told us the student with a severe lice problem was being allowed to stay in class b/c parents had "tried" to remove them.  My dd has not had a problem again even though I have become so paranoid and I check her hair all the time, lol!  Did you catch the case early? 

05mom07bride
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:33 PM

When I was young I got it every summer, because my sister would send her kids to my mom once a month during the summer, and they always had it...

You can get lice, with clean hair, dirty hair, no matter what kinda of hair, black red, thin, short, long, doesn't matter, how clean the hair is!!!  If you have to do the nit combs, section her hair off and do little sections at a time. Its gonna be very very time consuming, but its worth it to get it out of her hair! Make sure you wash everything, Spray everything, hell my mom washed everything twice, to be on the safe side...  You could get it, It really all just depends on how well you've treated everything... Good luck with everything momma!

Babylove135
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Chances are you may have it as well.  Do you use the same brush as she does?  If not you can still get it.  Just by playing with her they can jump to you.  You have to keep on top of it.  I have never used anything prescription.  Keep everything clean and wash her sheets everyday in HOT water.  If the medicine doesn't work try this.  This is the ONLY thing I could get rid of them with when my DD has them.  Coat her hair with Vaseline put a shower cap on it and leave it on for at least an hour.  When you go to wash it out use baby oil.  I only had to do this treatment once and it got rid of them all!!

Come join our group where you can talk about whatever you want with no drama!!     www.cafemom.com/group/BusyB

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)