Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth control issues ~ Need opinions please.

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay well I am 20 with 2 kids.  Condoms don't work for me (I still get pregnant).  I had an iud put in last March. Since then, I have had a few cysts on my ovaries.  They are soo painful (to the point where I have a hard time getting up sometimes) and have only happened since I got the iud in.  I have heard that they can happen with IUDs.  I am tempted to get it taken out but then I am scared that I could easily get pregnant (which I am not ready for).  I am very fertile.  I know that I can't take pills cause I always forget meds.  I have also been told the depo would screw with my hormones (I have a history of depression).  So what should I do?  Should I take the pain (cause they said they can't do anything for it) or take it out and take the chance with condoms?  Any other birth control options I should look into?

Please no bashing..I honestly have no clue what to do.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michelle6_10
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:37 PM

What about the patch or implant?  I am trying to figure out my options too.

motherof208
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:37 PM

What implant?

Quoting michelle6_10:

thebestbrianne
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Well, the only way to get rid of cysts without surgery is birth dontrol pills, that's what I am going through right now. You may want to try it for awhile and use condoms as back-up. Make sure your dude is putting them on right and that they aren't expired becuase as long as there aren't holes, the things should work. There is the ring, but it has it's risks too. You should really discuss it more with your doctor.

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

lenalove
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:38 PM

try condoms with spermicidal lube.

3earthangels
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:39 PM

There's a bunch of different options. My favorite was the Nuvaring, which is inserted in the vagina for 3 weeks & left out for 1 week. I also looked into the implant since I did love my Norplant when I had it.

Are you, a family member, or a friend going through the immigration process? Need information, want support, or just want to learn more about it? Join my group www.cafemom.com/group/theimmigrationprocess to share your story, find helpful information, and people who are going through just what you are.

michelle6_10
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM

It's name is Implanon. http://www.implanon-usa.com/Consumer/index.asp?C=433623984081875

Look into Nuvaring too.

Quoting motherof208:

What implant?

Quoting michelle6_10:

oboe_chik
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM

You could use Nuva Ring (I used it for almost 2 years between kids and never had a problem and got preggo right away when I got off of it). But also if you have to take pills set an alarm (a cell phone or watch works the best) and take it immediately. I set my alarm for 11:30 am and always carry my pills in my purse so I take them right after I get out of class.

motherof208
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM

They told me the cysts should go away on their own and they do, just to come back again.  See I had discussed it with my doctor and we had decided on the iud because a lot of birth control uses hormones which doesn't work with my body.  And the problem with condoms is that they break.  So I feel kind of stuck...

Quoting thebestbrianne:

Well, the only way to get rid of cysts without surgery is birth dontrol pills, that's what I am going through right now. You may want to try it for awhile and use condoms as back-up. Make sure your dude is putting them on right and that they aren't expired becuase as long as there aren't holes, the things should work. There is the ring, but it has it's risks too. You should really discuss it more with your doctor.

dreambuilder289
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:42 PM

There is an implant available called Implanon...I haven't used it but I've heard it's effective. It's also not intrauterine...so it shouldn't lead to cyst development. I'm not sure if it will affect your hormones but here is a link for you to check out.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-implant-implanon-4243.htm

~Dare to Dream~

motherof208
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I am going to have to see if my issurance covers that!  Thanks!

Quoting dreambuilder289:

There is an implant available called Implanon...I haven't used it but I've heard it's effective. It's also not intrauterine...so it shouldn't lead to cyst development. I'm not sure if it will affect your hormones but here is a link for you to check out.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-implant-implanon-4243.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)