Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I pay to repair it or pay twice the price for a new one? I'm really stumped!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Repair at 69.00 or just buy a new machine at 200.00??

Options:

pay the 69.00 to repair

Just spend 200.00 for a brand new sewing machine

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

My 15-20 yr old sewing machine went ka-puut over the weekend. The bobbin gear is broken. It's a very simple sewing machine. As basic as you can get. It's a Brother brand. It cost about 150.00 ish - 15+ years AGO

The service center today says it will cost $69.00 to replace the gear that is broken. UGH! But, should I just pay the 69.oo to fix it or should I just buy a new machine?

I'm not a pro sewer. I just like my sewing machine for repairing clothes and easy/quick projects. So, I don't need one with fancy embroderiy or 100+ stiching...I just want the basics. I priced some sewing machines online at Walmart.. prices were from about $50-400.00 I'm guessing the ones $250+ have fancier stiching and do-dads.

But, someone also mentioned that the newer ones aren't as sturdy as the older machines. - I guess suggesting mine with metal parts is the better quality. Is that true?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
aarkat
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:30 PM

i bought a sewing machine at costco a few years ago and it is soooo much easier to sew on than the old ones i learned on.  it's digital with buttons.  it's even got a button to replace the pedal!  it still has a pedal too, if you want to use it.   you thread the spool into it's little case, and it threads the machine and needle all by itself!  so easy!   and loads of stitches to choose from.

i got it several years ago, and i think it cost around $150.    i don't sew much, but this machine is so much easier for me than my mom's old machine (from the 80's) that it's not so daunting anymore!

YoungUrban
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Try a thrift store, they may have some there or look around or old parts that maybe cheaper. Hope this helps

JMVITT
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM

My om has a singer sewing machine and she always went to have it repaired.  Actually one time the lady tried to buy it from her because it was a rare model.  I would probably just pay to have it repaired or sometimes the repair places have older refurbished models you can buy as well that are sturdy.  But yeah, my mom always said that to me, if it can be repaired fix it. 

GermanMami
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I also got a Singer from CostCo like 2 yrs ago, it's AWESOME. It was around $180 I think, and it's so danged easy to use, and quiet. When I showed it to my MIL, she was so impressed, she went out and bought one for herself, getting rid of her old trusty dusty Kenmore from the dark ages (I think that thing was from the 70's?! LOL). I'd go for it and just get a new one :)

canagirl95
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I didn't vote because I don't know how to sew.  I agree with the poster above me, I bought a sewing machine at a thrift store that has everything in it already.  I paid $25!  It was at a used furniture store.  Good luck!!!

aarkat
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM

after re-reading, it sounds like you're pretty happy with yours.   i might just repair it.  i wouldn't want to throw it out even if i did get a new one, since it's reliable.

karrey
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM

The newer ones are easier to use.they have fancier stitches and are just FUN! it makes sewing less stressful,and more enjoyable.i make baby blankets for all my expecting friends with mine.i'm not a seamstress,but my new elna has enabled me to make curtains,pillows,quilts.of course,i also do mending and hems w/it as well. MY vote is NEW NEw NEW>

maddiemom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM
I'd keep the old one. The cheaper sewing machines sold today are so prone to breaking.

WhiteTigerLily
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I would just pay the 69 dollars and fix it. It's probly just cheaper to do that. I have an old one sitting here that used to be my grandmas. My aunt just gave it to me. It's from Montgomery Wards that's how old it is lol. It has a bobbin issue and I plan to get it fixed. It's cheaper than buying a new one I imagine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)