Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

salads with dinner

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM
  • 7 Replies

So according to these "excellent" military doctors. they are saying my husband is obese. I find that rather hilarious, he is a big guy but by no means is he fat or obese for that matter. I do admit he probably does need to lose some pounds so he can be healthier. I've been proportioning his food out so its smaller than what he would serve himself, and someone else also reccommended eating salads at every meal to help him lose weight. Anyone else have any suggestions? thanks in advance

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jademom07
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM

drink 8 oz of water before each meal (about 20 mins before) that will keep you from eating as much...also, tell him to try to be the last person to finish.  By eating slower, you realize when you are full rather than shoving it in as it takes 20 mins for your brain to realize when you are full.  Also, watch the salads as the stuff you put on them can be really fattening like the ones at McDonalds, they are horrible with fat! 

Mimislove
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Serve 2 vegetables per meal....preferably not potatoes as one of them. Cut down or cut back on fried foods. Use healthy oils when you do cook.

Get rid of sugary breakfast foods. No pop tarts, donuts, or sugary cereals. Do whole grains, oatmeal (not the instant flavored kind) whole wheat toast, Cheerios,etc.

Drink 6-8 glasses of water per day. Lean meats. Cut back on butter, salt, sugar....pretty much the yummy stuff. lol

HuntersMomee
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:42 PM

its hard but put your fork or spoon down after each bite

our new baby is either going to be Keira Lynn or Ean (undecided middle) 

JMVITT
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM

My husband always says to use smaller plates. It tricks your mind into thinking you have a lot of food when you dont.  The other suggestions are good too!  I will have to try those :)

Tia_B
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Well the best thing to do is watch what he is eating. Meat portions for a guy should be around 6 ounces. The meat should be lean and cooked with out adding any fats or oils. (boil, broil, grill, bake, ect ... just no frying or marinading in oily sauces)

Salads aren't going to do anyone any good if they are topped with cheese, croutons, creamy or oily dressings, nuts or other calorie adders like bacon. He would have to be willing to eat a veggie salad with a vinegar or lemon juice dressing. (Which isn't so bad really that's how I like mine:)

Watch the salt. This adds water weight, BUT it also makes it harder on your organs to do their job and properly metabolize fats.

Replace beverages that have calories with plain water. You can drink plenty of it and it doesn't have any calories. So many of our daily calorie allowance can easily be used up in the form of beverages. Plus water helps organs to run efficiently which helps a person to lose weight.

I have lots more suggestions. If you need any. :)

God Bless You!

I am not skilled to understand
What God has willed, what God has planned

I only know at His right hand

Stands one who is my Savior

I take Him at His word and deed

Christ died to save me; this I read

And in my heart I find a need

Of Him to be my savior

-Aaron Shust "My Savior, my God"

depsiua
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Have him eat an apple 20 min before dinner.  Research has shown that people who ate an apple 20 min before a meal ate less.  I forget the percentage.  They have no idea why, and it's only apples, but studies have shown it is effective.

Myroslava
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:49 PM

i might be sounding like a broken record, but it would help, if you replce all the bread and pasta, and rice, too with whole wheat (not just wheat) bread an pasta, and i guess, brown rice (it only makes sense , if it has at least 2 gr of fiber per 90 calories, alot of brown rices have the same amount as white, so it doesn' make a difference then).

For portion control also you can use smaller plates, so,it looks like there is more food on it.

When you make a plate of food, separate it in 4 parts, protins should be a 1/4 of a plate, starches 1/4 of the plate and veggies should be 1/2 of the plate.

Try to avoid processed foods ( i know, it is hard nowdays, since that kind of food costs less).

Avoid soda, even diet soda-it still makes one crave sweets. Try zeltzer or sparkling water with a splash of juice.

Instead of having juice, have him eat piece of fruit-it has fiber that slows down absorption of sugar, and juice makes blood sugar spike, so, it's not good.

Good luck!

PS. My DH is on a Nutrisystem diet now, and he probably needs to lose weight more then your hubby, but he is doing very well and i am happy for him, and i get some ques from that diet plan:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)