Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What if your power went out? *POLL INCLUDED*

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM
  • 31 Replies

Poll

Question: Where would you go?

Options:

Stay home

Rent a hotel room

Find some family with power

Find a shelter to stay at

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 113

View Results

So my power just went out for an hour and a half. Since my uncle, my mom, FIL, and B/SIL. All still had there power for the moment we was going to stay with one of them tonight if we didn't have our power back. So it got me thinking since many other moms is losing there power b/c of the same ice/snow storm that I'm  in.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyslate
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Well I live in Florida so we are prepared for Power Outages so we would stay home and turn on our generator and crack open our hurricane supply kit, lol.

As for people in cold weather I have NO Clue.  I know our generator can run a fan to keep us COOL, but if you don't have a fireplace you can't very well start a fire in your house, and you probably don't have a generator handy (?) to run a space heater and it would be reallly cold.  So in that case, I'm not sure what I would do.

amanda357
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Our power went out last year for 9 days due to an ice storm. We stayed at my grandparents house the hole time.  Most people left and went to a hotel but I couldn't afford it.  It's a major inconvenience having the power out.

momcat437
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM

We had a huge windstorm in September and had no power for five days, and we managed--of course, it wasn't so cold then!  I think the hardest part would be no hot water--but we have a wood stove, so we'd just heat whatever water we needed, I guess...

CrystalRhine
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I'd try my parents home.  If they don't have power I'd just stay home.

CrazyMaMa79
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I would stay home....I think it's fun to try to "make do" in a situation like that (unless someone in the home has health problems and needs power of course)  It's cool for a few days but I would have to go somewhere after a few days because DH, DS, and I would eventually give into the world's modern ammenities, lol!

liha
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I'd have a reason to light my Christmas candles.

hannies_momma
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM

We have a fireplace and a wood stove. If our power went out I imagine we would be having people coming here to stay warm, and eat.

tashamyork
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I was 9 months preggo last year and our power went out for 14 or 15 days so we stayed with family. It stunk bc I was in the nesting faze and I couldn't do anything...but we came home and I had two days or so b4 I went into labor so I cleaned cleaned cleaned lol!

Babymm

We had a HUGE ice storm in October 2006.  We stayed home with no power. We were invited numerus places but could not bring our dog.  We did not have power for 5 days some people like my mom for a week.

beth1102

My power always goes out. its worse during the winter, but we stay home. we have tons of blankets, and we all camp out on the living room floor to stay warm if we have to. but it is normally back on by the end of the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)