Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disgusting, Horrible.....there just aren't enough words.....

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:15 PM
  • 51 Replies

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090127/ap_on_re_us/child_s_remains

Prosecutor: Slain toddler said 'I love you' at end

GALVESTON, Texas – A slain toddler tried to stop her mother and stepfather from beating her to death by reaching out to her mother and saying, "I love you," a prosecutor told jurors Tuesday. The pleas from 2-year-old Riley Ann Sawyers didn't stop her mother, Kimberly Trenor, from continuing to brutalize her, assistant district attorney Kayla Allen said in her opening statement at Trenor's murder trial.

But defense attorney Tommy Stickler Jr. told the jury that Trenor, 20, never intended to kill her daughter in 2007 and that things just "spun out of control."

The toddler was dubbed "Baby Grace" by investigators who worked to identify her decomposed remains after the body was found in a plastic container in October 2007 on a tiny island in Galveston Bay.

Trenor's 25-year-old husband, Royce Zeigler II, is to be tried separately on murder charges. His attorney points the finger at Trenor.

Prosecutors declined to seek the death penalty because they didn't think they could prove that either one would be a future danger, as required.

During her opening statement, Allen detailed for jurors the day that she said Riley Ann died for forgetting to say "please" and "yes, sir."

Allen said that on July 25, 2007, Trenor and Zeigler disciplined Riley by whipping her with a belt, pushing her head against a pillow and holding her head under water. She said Zeigler grabbed Riley and tossed her across the room, fracturing her skull. An autopsy concluded the skull fractures caused her death.

"To the very end, Riley said, 'I love you' to her mom. She's reaching out," Allen said. "That's her lifeline, to her mother. What does Kim do after hearing her say I love you? She starts beating her."

Allen said the adults did nothing to help even as Riley lay dying.

She said the pair bought a plastic container, stuffed Riley's body inside and stored it in a shed for a month or two before setting it out to sea, prosecutors said.

Stickler portrayed Trenor as a scared 19-year-old girl who had moved to Texas from Ohio to marry a man she met while playing an online game. She said Riley's father, her former boyfriend, had assaulted her and Zeigler was her "knight in shining armor, her Texas cowboy."

"I don't want to use the word accident, but this wasn't something that was intentional," Stickler said.

Trenor could receive an automatic sentence of life in prison without parole if convicted of capital murder. The jury could also convict her of a lesser charge.

Riley's remains were unidentified for weeks until an Ohio woman, Sheryl Sawyers, saw an artist's sketch and told authorities she believed the girl was her granddaughter. Sawyers' son is Trenor's ex-boyfriend.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bertsmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Oh man I didn't think this was what you were posting. I'm sorry but I hate to read about things like this..I get nightmares. I don't know why but since I had my gorgeous lil man I can't stand to hear things like this.

The two loves of my life, my son and my fiance

CharityS

I literally just threw up. I can't even think of any words to write besides I hope that she gets what she deserves in prison. 

Charity

There was no respect for youth when I was young, and now that I am old there is no respect for age. I missed it coming and going.

momcat437

It's totally horrible, but how can they prove that's what the child's last words were??  Did the mother say that?

Brooke208
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:19 PM

How awful!  I remember hearing about that baby that was found in the container.  I wondered who she was.

That is so sad... that poor baby girl!

21noahsmama21
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:20 PM

The death penalty isn't severe enough a punishment for them.  God be with that baby girl in Heaven now.

cutebaby06
by Monica on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM

The only thing I'm gonna say,is I hope they do get life.NOBODY DESERVES TO LIVE AFTER DOING THAT TO THEIR OWN KID,INSANE OR  NOT.

cabado2
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM

OMG I JUST WANNA HOLD MY 2 YEAR OLD RIGHT NOW!!

JaxsMommy182
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Those people should be beaten to death by other parents.  Just like they did to that precious baby girl.  OMG this is just sick.  God Bless that angel.  I hope they fry!!!!!!!!!!!

pregnancy week by week
MikeysMom51108
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Not intentional?! Beating a baby, holding her head under water and into a pillow, and throwing her across the room?! Not intentional?! My ass! That kind of stuff doesn't "just happen".

Stories like this make me believe in cruel and unusual punishment. I've said it before, and I'll say it again--these kinds of people deserve to suffer every single thing they put that child through and more.

And then, to know that poor baby was still reaching for comfort and safety from her mother. Just sickening.

mommytotaylor
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:25 PM

reading shit like this makes me sick, makes go hug my lil girl and tell her how much i love her. i hate people who hurt their kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)