Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eviction Question

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok so i have a question for you ladies. My husband and i signed a one year lease in August 2008. He was then laid off in November 2008 and we moved from Chicago to Minneapolis to find work and move in with my parents. We moved in December 2008 and at that time were current on our rent. Well we intended to continue to pay for the remaining time on our lease in chicago, when we left we had some odds and ends left in the apartment. Well we missed our january payment and then when my DH went back to clean to apartment and paint and everything last weekend, the landlord had cleaned everything out! Can they do this? We are 3 weeks late with rent but they never called us or sent us a letter or anything. I am freaking out here. Does this mean that we got evicted?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
melamommy24
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Did you let the landlord know you moved?? If not, he may have left stickies on the door then assumed you abandoned the place. I'd look into Chicago's landlord tenant laws, though, to see if he did or did not break any rules.

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Crazy Chris on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:35 PM

It looks to me that they considered it to be abandoned. They HAVE to give you a 3 day pay or quit notice. After that 3 days they can file an eviction, but it can take a while to get this completed. They can not have it done in 3 weeks time. They should be responsible for your things. they can't do that! There are laws they must follow and it seems that they did not!

AFWifeNMom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Yes, they knew that we moved, they told us that we could not move until our lease was up. I told them that we intended to pay for the rest of the lease.

Quoting melamommy24:

Did you let the landlord know you moved?? If not, he may have left stickies on the door then assumed you abandoned the place. I'd look into Chicago's landlord tenant laws, though, to see if he did or did not break any rules.

ktwister
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Most States say property abandoned for longer than 30 days can be removed without a court order.

It sounds premature  and without validation. You may have the right to ask for loss of property, it would be a civil matter.

melamommy24
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Have you talked to them yet? If not, I would call and let them know that your stuff is missing from the home, and while you realize you were late on rent this month, you received nothing from them at all. You think it may be theft, and you intend on calling the police after checking with them. IF they have your things, the police thing will probably get them to admit to having them. If they give you a hard time about giving them back, let them know you intend to actually call the police about the stolen items. Look online, them taking your items might be enough for you to break the lease with them as well. From what I've read so far, Chicago tenant/landlord laws favor the tenant.

Quoting AFWifeNMom:

Yes, they knew that we moved, they told us that we could not move until our lease was up. I told them that we intended to pay for the rest of the lease.

Quoting melamommy24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)