Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stubborn 3 year old at the Dentist! OMG!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'M SO FRUSTRATED AND ANGRY RIGHT NOW!  My 3 1/2 yr old DD would not even allow the pediatric dentist to do a cleaning today!  He was barely able to do an exam! 

Anyone else have a nightmare situation at the dentist with their little one?  If so, what did you do?!  I plan on probably waiting maybe another whole year to try it again.  I might just let my husband take my DD, since maybe he'll be firmer with her, which is obviously what is needed!  The pediatric dentist talked about how "strong-willed" she is and basically how she'll really need boundaries when coming into the dentist's office.  I'm so irritated!  Help!  Has anyone dealt with this?? 

twin girls

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candygirl1030
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Sure have!  My daughter was the same way and she had major issues with her teeth to boot!  It has not lasted forever though- she started getting better at about 5 (she is 15 now)  You may want to bring her to the dentist with you though and let her see that it doesn't hurt.  She may be more inclined watching Mommy and then wanting to do it too.   Oh and believe me a little bribery never hurt either. :)

orcadarwin
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:15 PM

My 3 year old loves to go to the dentist.  At his last visit though, he pitched a royal fit when she started to use that electric 'brush' to clean his teeth.  He wouldn't have any of that, she had to use a regular tooth brush, but she did get the job done.  I guess it was just the noise that it made, not sure.  He also didn't want her to squirt the water in his mouth.  But we convinced him to let her do that, after he felt it in his mouth, he was fine.

jessicafawn76
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM

We just took our dd last week she is 3 as well, and they didnt even want us to go back with her on her first visit but they let one of us go she did ok she let them look in her mouth they gave her a bag full toys and that seemed to make her like being there alot more lol...

CariO.
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Thank you!  I'm glad I'm not alone.  What a waste of $65.  He couldn't do anything but do a very brief look and one little instrument poke.  She was screaming like someone wanted to kill her.  Ugh!!   

lighthouse98
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM

My son is awful at the dentist. He's only been once and the dentist won't see my son again until he turns 18. LOL Actually my son just turned 4 y/o and we are going to try it again this month. I'm crossing my fingers that every thing will be better this time.

My dd is 8 y/o and is a night mare at the dentist too. She doesn't scream or hit. She just sits there looking at the dentist. It takes about an hour just for her to open her mouth. We always get the last apt of the day and she walks out with 3 toothbrushes and a hand full of tooth paste.

I've been threw 4 dentist with my daughter. The dentist we have now is the best with children. He lets the children go at there own pace and he has alot patience with them.

kimgonoles
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:47 PM

My 3 year old son had his FIRST dental checkup, cleaning and x-rays yesterday!  He was GREAT, I am so proud of him!  The dentist's office was great and had huge tv's for him to watch while he had his teeth cleaned! he luv'd that he got to get a new toothbrush & stickers!

Hopefully your dd will do better next time!

CariO.
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:49 PM

LOL!  Those are the thoughts that ran through my mind this a.m.!  Maybe the dentist will suggest we try another dentist...  Maybe I should switch to a new one...  I'm OH so fatigued right now!  And irritating... (sorry still venting)  My mother had to drive down from her home an hour - each way - to help me today, since I needed her to be with my 1 1/2 year old while I took my Abby in to see the dentist.  ugh!  It's only 1:45 p.m. here is California, but I feel like I need to go right to bed!  That's how hard this morning was.  OMG...

Quoting lighthouse98:

My son is awful at the dentist. He's only been once and the dentist won't see my son again until he turns 18. LOL Actually my son just turned 4 y/o and we are going to try it again this month. I'm crossing my fingers that every thing will be better this time.

My dd is 8 y/o and is a night mare at the dentist too. She doesn't scream or hit. She just sits there looking at the dentist. It takes about an hour just for her to open her mouth. We always get the last apt of the day and she walks out with 3 toothbrushes and a hand full of tooth paste.

I've been threw 4 dentist with my daughter. The dentist we have now is the best with children. He lets the children go at there own pace and he has alot patience with them.

CariO.
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Congrats!  One can only hope that next time is better.

Quoting kimgonoles:

My 3 year old son had his FIRST dental checkup, cleaning and x-rays yesterday!  He was GREAT, I am so proud of him!  The dentist's office was great and had huge tv's for him to watch while he had his teeth cleaned! he luv'd that he got to get a new toothbrush & stickers!

Hopefully your dd will do better next time!

CariO.
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:54 PM

OK, now that the girls are napping and I have more time to reflect, I NEED TO VENT SOME MORE.  I'm sort of irritated that afterward the 39 year old dentist (I'm 40) had the nerve to ask if everything was ok at home, like if there was some reason for Abby being really stubborn.  I said no, it's a happy home, things are just fine.  Ugh!  I didn't act like I was irritated, but inside I thought that was a bit NERVY of him.  Ugh!  Can you tell I'm FRUSTRATED right now!?

CariO.
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Any more nightmare dentist stories? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)