Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Get a job continued...

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM
  • 42 Replies

I figured since the other post got locked, I would start another one.

I would like to 1st say, YES there are people that ABUSE the PA system & they give everyone that uses it a bad name.  BUT, just because you are in there family-doesn't give you the right to be in that persons business!  IT IS STILL THERE LIFE & they will continue to make choices for thier families...wether you like them or not. 

Some people are perfectly able to get jobs, but they choose not to.  It still doesn't make it YOUR business.  The % of the money that comes out of your checks that goes to welfare is SLIM...so for people to say "I am feeding that family, it is my money" yada, yada...COME ON NOW!! 

I do think the welfare system needs to have a MAJOR overhaul there is no doubt about that...but those of you that are wanting to report the ladies or want them to lose benefits need to think about...what happens if you do & that mom goes to jail or gets her benefits taken away.  Then what?  In the perfect world they would get a job...but with the way things are in this country right now, that is not as easy as it used to be. So, the benefits are gone & there is no job..how do the kids get fed???

Just something to think about....

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovenlifeasmnw
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM

popcorn

gcmomx3
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I agree. People need to mind their own business. And yes I am a SAHM with medicaid for my kids and food stamps. And I don't care if people like it or not. This is what MY HUSBAND and I decided is best for OUR FAMILY.

momtobe2377
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:33 PM

You hit the nail right on the head....You did what was best for your family!  That is all everyone should do...because really bitching about your taxes isn't going to change anything.  I don't like what Obama wants to do with tax money, but there is nothing I can do about it.

Edit...When I say "your family" I mean you, hubby & kids.  Not cousin, brother, sister, aunt or uncle.  They are grown adults...so what they do is what they think is best...who are we to judge!

Quoting gcmomx3:

I agree. People need to mind their own business. And yes I am a SAHM with medicaid for my kids and food stamps. And I don't care if people like it or not. This is what MY HUSBAND and I decided is best for OUR FAMILY.

mirandapoo
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Quoting gcmomx3:

Me to! We really "had" to. My hubby lost his job February of 2008. He was paid very well there...well...he got a new job...but his pay was cut in half. We have 5 kid's and we had to feed our children somehow? I agree...there are people who need it and there are people who abuse it...but who are we to judge?!!

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM

So what about my situation where my DD is on disability because she had a stroke? I don't work... am I a government user in your opinion?

motherhood-quote21

Stefanie - Mommy to Liam Patrick 07/07 (IUGR) and Molly Kate 06/08 (IUGR, Pre-Natal Stroke, Developmental Delays, and Failure to Thrive) and Wife to Mark since 2/17/2006

trendymommy4
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Welfare has a stigma attached to it and I think isn't what it used to be.  If people need help and their kids need medical and food our government should provide it. We provide aid and services to people who aren't even citizens but when it comes to people who are just done on their luck and  who actually need it ...someone has something to say.  Do I think its ok to have lots of kids and expect welfare to pick up the tab..no. But some people will always feel a sense of "entitlement" and those few shouldn't take away from those who truly need it.

momtobe2377
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Quoting mirandapoo:

Me to! We really "had" to. My hubby lost his job February of 2008. He was paid very well there...well...he got a new job...but his pay was cut in half. We have 5 kid's and we had to feed our children somehow? I agree...there are people who need it and there are people who abuse it...but who are we to judge?!!

That is my point exactly...who are we to judge?  We don't get PA..but that doesn't mean I won't in the future.  The company that I work for deals with car dealerships...they are hurting right now.  We couldn't survive on hubby's salary alone.  I think people just need to think long & hard about what they are saying...because heaven forbid they be in a situation in the future where they need happen.  You never know what tomorrow holds!

momtobe2377
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Nope not to me!  I don't think anyone should have to explain why or why not they get/don't get assistance.  That is my whole point...it is noones business & noones right to judge! :-)

How is your daughter?  Is she doing ok?

Quoting Mom2LiamNMolly:

So what about my situation where my DD is on disability because she had a stroke? I don't work... am I a government user in your opinion?

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM

the kids will be SO MUCH BETTER OFF in foster care @rolls eyes@ (yes, that was sarcasm)

PA abuse is NOT the huge problem today. there are way worse problems.

momtobe2377
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I agree...

I would rather see my tax dollars pay to feed a child then pay for family planning/abortions in another country!

Quoting trendymommy4:

Welfare has a stigma attached to it and I think isn't what it used to be.  If people need help and their kids need medical and food our government should provide it. We provide aid and services to people who aren't even citizens but when it comes to people who are just done on their luck and  who actually need it ...someone has something to say.  Do I think its ok to have lots of kids and expect welfare to pick up the tab..no. But some people will always feel a sense of "entitlement" and those few shouldn't take away from those who truly need it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)