Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help a vegetarian mom who doesnt cook well!!! Something cheaper too please LOL

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:54 PM
  • 10 Replies

PLEASE

I need to step it up.. I cooked my first full chicken last night and it wasnt that hard!  I want my children to eat more chicken/fish/eggs.... I dont want them to have a hard time like me...

Anyway can you guys give me just a list of a few dinners your family likes.. Preferably something you can make in a half hour or so because I dont get home from work until 4:30 and pretty much by then the kids are begging for dinner!  So any quick dinner ideas?

We do:

Pastas with frozen veggies or sauce..

Chicken nuggets, Hamburgers, Hotdogs...

Burritos..

My poor kids... PLEASE HELP ME!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fostersforbeer
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:57 PM

this is what im cooking tonight.. its REALLY

easy..

okya.. you can buy a big fillet of salmon.. frozen or fresh.. then put it in some tin foil and drizzle with olive oil.. salt and pepper.. squueze  a lemon on it.. and I like chopped on garlic spread on mine.. THen close up the tin floil and cook for about 20 mintues or so...at 350 degrees..

and then I have sweet potatoes.. I am going to cut them into "fries" and bake them with salt and pepper.. really good, and good for you..

and then.. steamed veggies from the frozen section! lol easy and good for you!

Laura913
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I am a bad cook

but i make

spaggitti and chicken alfredo

pregnant

FDNYwife
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:03 PM

my favorite LOL

Thank you!  I will try that one day!

Quoting Fostersforbeer:

steamed veggies from the frozen section!

FDNYwife
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:22 PM

HELP!

angelofmusic
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:44 PM

i make a lot of chicken, so i try to do it several different ways.

we buy the frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts and i only defrost enough for one meal at a time.  To cook, i cut into strips or cubes, depending on what we are having with it. Then i put it in a fry pan with a little extra virgin olive oil. i also add different flavorings to it while it is cooking.

for a more plain chicken to add to something that doesnt need extra flavor, i will just add some mrs. dash or italian seasoning. 

other options i have tried that i like a lot are catalina (french) dressing, lemon pepper marinade (hubby really likes that one and it turns out great!) bbq sauce you can also do sweet and sour sauce or othe flavored marinades that you can buy. you dont have to actually marinade the meat. just pour a bunch into the pan enough to coat all the chicken.

then you can have different sides or meals with it, add it to a fancy salad or use taco seasoning and tortilla bowls for a mexican style salad, you can even add a little guacamole, refried beans, salsa and sour cream.

add it to stirfried veggies and put it all over rice. add to pasta. mix with cheese broccoli and rice

have with mac and cheese and a green salad on the side. have with mashed potatoes and greenbeans on the side

we also like to do other meats with rice and veggies.

meatloaf is really good (you can make it with ground turkey too)

homemade chili is the best.

that is what i can think of at the moment, hope this helps.

ashandmasysmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:50 PM

This is one of our favorites and it made in a crock pot kinda hard to mess that up.

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into smaller strips)

1 can cream of mushroom

1 can cream of chicken

1 tsp garlic powder

1/4 flour

8 oz of sour cream

egg noodles

put chicken,both cans of soup, and garlic in crock pot on high for four hours. A half hour before done mix sour cream and flour together and then into the crock pot. Cook noodles seperately, and serve the chicken mixture of noodles. Like I said this is a favorite and asked for at least once a week in my house.

FDNYwife
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Thanks ladies!!!!!

FDNYwife
by on Feb. 1, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Thanks ladies!!!!!

mamakas2
by on Feb. 1, 2009 at 8:23 AM

We do salmon a lot too (you can get it on sale in Waldbaums sometimes $4.99 a lb) and I do it in the microwave. A pound ought to be fine. Put it in a glass baking dish (91/2 X 11) or you can cut it into smaller chunks to fit in a pie plate if your microwave is small, like mine. I spray it with "Pam" cooking spray, add whatever spices (salt, pepper, dill weed, a little garlic powder) and zap it on high about 8 minutes. Tastes great, healthy & the boys love it. Make it with couscous from the box (far east brand?) and add frozen peas to the water, and make a nice green salad.

How about taking burritos or wraps and the perdue ready made and cut up chicken. Lay down one big wrap, put on some chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, spoon on some salsa, cover with another wrap and broil in oven (or even the microwave, but less crunchy) until cheese melts. Then cut in 8 wedges like you cut a pizza, and serve with extra salsa on the side and fat free or low fat sour cream.

They have tilapia (fish) frozen in 4 lbs bags in Waldbaums. If you stand facing the seafood counter, it is in the freezer directly behind your back. Let in thaw in the fridge while you're at work. I take them and coat them lightly with cornmeal, then pan-fry them in a frying fan in a little margarine (we use the Smart Balance lite). It's thin, so it goes pretty quick. And it's better than deep frying it, but still makes it really tasty, and it's a very mild taste that the kids like, not fishy.

mitch576
by on Feb. 1, 2009 at 8:38 AM

chop up some fresh garlic..... put that  with some fresh parmesean cheese and a little bit of black pepper in extra virgin olive oil...let it sit for a few. {about a half of a cup of oil}

boil up some tri colored pasta wheels{about a pound}... or macarroni.... grill up some chicken in some oil oil. {not the oil you have set aside}

then mix!!!! with the oil you prepared. this is called a "pesto sauce" it is a cicillian {and italian}  white sauce.

it is simple...easy and has only about 500 milligrams of sodium {from the cheese}  {hubby has high bp}

it is very tasty..... if you enjoy a spicier meal.

owner of 30andbeyond...jigsaw ribbon...ADMIN of autism, asperger's, pdd awareness

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)