Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No naps at 16 months?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son has refused to take naps...so does he not need a nap at 16 months? I have a friend who has a 4 and 5 year old and they still take naps...?....

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dragonflykiss44
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:01 PM

my 3 year old still takes one nap a day, and i try and get my 5 year old to take one but she usually doesnt

BrodysMommy251
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I think it just depends on the child.

candiH
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM

It doesn't seem that he gets THAT tired... I do put him in the crib anyway, trying to get him to fall asleep. He usually just has quite time instead.

Quoting BrodysMommy251:

I think it just depends on the child.

ssmommy454
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I'd say at 16 months they still need a nap. My 5 yr daughter took naps until she was 3. I weaned her off then because she started Pre-school. To keep your sanity still needs a nap. Good luck, hope you can get that nap in.

stacymomof2
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Kids are different.  And the same kid will be different at different times.  Keep enforcing the quiet time, maybe he will start napping again.  My 1yo has been refusing to nap lately.  I keep trying, though.

lae26
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:07 PM

My 19 month old is doing this too, and has been since about 16 months.  But I think they do need naps still.  This is just part of them trying to assert their autonomy.  So I put her in her crib, turn off the lights, and leave her for her normal 2 hour nap time.  Half the days, she'll eventually nap.  The others, she plays quietly for 2 hours.  That much can be her choice.   But we are still keeping a consistent schedule and she still has the opportunity to sleep.  I don't want to encourage her to do away with nap time.

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies."

6StarsOnly
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:59 PM

You poor thing. My son DID NOT sleep at all from the moment we got home from the hospital.  At night, he cap napped. During the same nothing.  By the time he was 4 years old he started to sleep longer at night.

He is now 10.  Nothing wrong with him.  Not hyper.  Just the way he is and trust me, I tried everyhting.  The Pediatrician finally gave me a mild pill for him at night when he was 7.  Which now he goes to bed at 8:30 straight until 7:00.  No wake ups.

I could have gotten something sooner, but I kept thinking he would one day sleep.

Hang in there.  It's really rough, but sometimes that's just the way it is and that is their norm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)