Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

good bye money that pays my bills

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

Republican lawmakers are raising concerns that ACORN, the low-income advocacy group under investigation for voter registration fraud, could be eligible for billions in aid from the economic stimulus proposal working its way through the House. 

House Republican Leader John Boehner issued a statement over the weekend noting that the stimulus bill wending its way through Congress provides $4.19 billion for "neighborhood stabilization activities." 

He said the money was previously limited to state and local governments, but that Democrats now want part of it to be available to non-profit entities. That means groups like ACORN would be eligible for a portion of the funds.  

Sen. David Vitter, R-La., told FOX News Tuesday that the money could be seen as "payoff" for groups' political activities in the last election. ACORN generally supports Democratic candidates and actively backed President Obama last year. 

But he said the funding is just one example of frivolous spending items in the $825 billion package. 

"It's just a long list of spending items. Not a real economic stimulus job creation bill," Vitter said. "It's line after line after line of favorite liberal spending programs, and it amounts to a big government bill -- not a job creation bill." 

Democratic leaders in the House have already dropped federal funding from the bill for new contraceptive services and ongoing programs to stop sexually transmitted diseases after Obama told them that it did not fit in with the job-creating objectives of the package. 

Obama plans to meet with Republican leaders on Capitol Hill Tuesday to hear some their input on the package. White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said Obama is open to suggestions. 

"If there are good ideas -- and I think he assumes there will be -- we will look at those ideas," he said Monday.

So some of my thoughts are that I thought Obama was supposed to help people in need that are losing their jobs and houses, not people who are in trouble and under investigation for voter fraud that was in Obama's favor? This is just one more thing he is planning to spend our money on. Who is paying for all this, us with taxes. The Republicans do not want to pass this because there are so many unnecessary things included in this bill its a joke, my own state congress and house men don't want to and they are democratic!!!! So I just don't get it, when is he going to help people who need it and not plan to send money over seas or to people who don't need it?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
josmama
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:08 PM

He also told the republicans just to vote don't be political about it. WTF???  so now no one can have an opinion but him wow this is really going to be a sucky 4 years.

mooremom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Yes, there are also provisions for 2 million to go to the national mall. Now, that is really stimulating and giving a grand  jump start to this ailing economy.  It has also been stated the money from building  the infrastucture should go to minorities and women and not to  white male construction workers. This whole bailout thing and stimulus package is a huge mistake. You can't dig yourself out of a hole by spending, it just doesn't work.

Billie_Bush
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:14 PM

lmao.. i just dont know anymore...

JMVITT
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM

popcornHere we go again.....

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I could not be more sick of this BS spending disguised as a fake Economic Stimulus Package.  You really want to give this guy a chance but what a snake!

Aimee14
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:22 PM

drinking beerYa...

Quoting JMVITT:

popcornHere we go again.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)