Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bathing a 7 wk old pup

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:23 PM
  • 13 Replies

What do you use to bath a 7 wk old pup?  I have been told to use regular Dawn dish liquid, is that okay or would it be okay to use baby bath?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomShawn70
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I just saw his picture he's cute...just use the baby bath...dish soap is way too harsh.

*edit*  I didn't actually see a picture of your puppy...It was another poster.  oops  :)

In my life I have discovered you can learn about someone completely, if you just take the time to inject them with a little sodium pentathol.

DixieFlower
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:25 PM

We always just used puppy shampoo from the dollar store. I don't know about the other soaps. So bump

Pregnancy ticker

relosansil
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I use baby bath or shampoo all the time with my dog, since she was just a puppy.... I think dawn is way to harsh and does not smell that good....lol

jaxTheMom

Yes. Dawn is best for a puppy, just (of course) avoid his eyes.

this comes from a friend of mine who runs an animal rescue league in Jackson, MS and has been bathing flea and tick covered puppies she finds for years now.  She swears by it.

mamapotter

I've got an 7 week old puppy, too, and I use baby wash on her.  It's tear free, and Dawn is not.

Dr. Phil said that the secret to inner peace was to finish everything you started.  So I looked around the house, finished the book I wanted to read, my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.  You wouldn't believe how calm I am now.
Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I use baby shampoo on my 2 yr old dog lol Dish soap is rough on their skin.

21noahsmama21
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Vets use dawn dish soap all the time because it is a GREAT flea killer, I mean, AWESOME!  And I've seen them use it on birds and other animals affected by oils spills as it's about the only thing that will really wash the oil out.  So as long as your puppy's skin isn't bothered by it, and you're not using it like every day, it should be fine.  If you bathe your puppy allot, then I would alternate between baby bath and dawn.  I use baby bath for my lab becauase she (like many labs) has really sensitive skin to other dog washes, most of which are full of chemicals and irritants. 

jaxTheMom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Yes but if you've got problems with fleas, ticks or grease/oil on the pup, the baby wash won't work.  I don't know what the "magic" about it is, but my rescue friends swear by it on pups because they aren't old enough yet for flea/tick killing dips.  Sorry, wish I could describe the details better.

Quoting mamapotter:

I've got an 7 week old puppy, too, and I use baby wash on her.  It's tear free, and Dawn is not.

lilrie1980
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I work at Petsmart and I've heard of using dawn, but not on puppies.  And don't use baby shampoo.  I know a lot of people suggest it but the pH of dogs is different than humans and you can dry their skin out and even irriate it.  If at all possible use puppy shampoo.  And just b/c it says tearless doesn't mean it's safe to get in the eyes.  It can still irritate and damage the eyes.  It happened once in my salon.  The dog was allergic to the tearless shampoo and had severe eye damage.  Yes, it's rare, but a chance I wouldn't want to take--dont want the vet bill!

21noahsmama21
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:38 PM

My dog's allergic to all dog shampoos, even puppy shampoo.  Never had a problem with baby shampoo though, and it's what my vet told me to try, was baby shampoo. 

Quoting lilrie1980:

I work at Petsmart and I've heard of using dawn, but not on puppies.  And don't use baby shampoo.  I know a lot of people suggest it but the pH of dogs is different than humans and you can dry their skin out and even irriate it.  If at all possible use puppy shampoo.  And just b/c it says tearless doesn't mean it's safe to get in the eyes.  It can still irritate and damage the eyes.  It happened once in my salon.  The dog was allergic to the tearless shampoo and had severe eye damage.  Yes, it's rare, but a chance I wouldn't want to take--dont want the vet bill!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)