Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you tip a FULL-service gas station attendant?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:39 PM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you tip a gas station attendant for pumping your gas in the cold?

Options:

Yes

No

Only if he's muscle-bound and shirtless

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

I inadvertantly went to a gas station today that was apparently full-service.  The guy walked up as I pulled in and it didn't look like I was allowed to pump my own gas.  So I roll down the window, and he asks what kind of gas and I tell him "fill it up - regular" and he asks "cash or credit" and I put it on my card.  I didn't have cash to tip him with (except for one dollar, which I thought might have been insulting) and when I got the credit slip to sign there was no line to add tip in (like there is on a restaurant check or salon credit slip).  So I didn't leave a tip.   Oh - and I should mention that it was COLD out here today.

This is my first time doing the full-service gas fill-up thing.  Was I supposed to tip?  If so, how much?  And can you usually put it on the card?

Thanks and peace,

Kat

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stefvan
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:40 PM

The last time I was at one, I was a child.  LOL  But, if we had them here, I'd tip them.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I always tip $1 for full service gas, no matter what the circumstance.

squidlife4me
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I wish they had these in Cali.. but here in Maine I most always tip them.. ecspecially in the winter!!  Its freakin cold and I dont mind paying the extra few dollars to NOT get out of the car.

MommyOnLI
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:43 PM

i always tip $1

WildKat
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Quoting squidlife4me:

I wish they had these in Cali.. but here in Maine I most always tip them.. ecspecially in the winter!!  Its freakin cold and I dont mind paying the extra few dollars to NOT get out of the car.

So do you tip a few bucks regardless (3-5?) or do you tip based on a percentage of the bill, or what?

Peace,

Kat

sooga_booga
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Always..  We only have full-service stations where I live... There are no self-service stations, they are not allowed by law in the state of Oregon.

priceisright07
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:46 PM

In New Jersey, all you have is full service.You are not allowed to pump your own gas.I never have, wouldn't know how to if I had to,LOL.I don't tip gas attendants.

jaxonsmommy07
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:46 PM
In New Jersey it is against the law to pump your own gas. ALL the gas stations are full service. So in that situation no you don't need to tip. However we did tip on occasion when we lived there (like if it was snowing). But if you go to a full service gas station where it is not a "normal" thing then yes tip them a couple bucks.
TheBabyFactory4
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:50 PM

i didnt even know they still had those! LOLI probably would since i also work at a truck stop/ gas station and people leave me tips and all i do is set the pumps from inside! LOL

Ashbgash
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I was just at a gas station the other weekend, that had a full-service, and one where you pump yourself.  I accidentally pulled up to the full service side, and noticed that the gas prices were more so I didn't even think about tipping him.  I had no idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)