Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Report cards are in...she said nothing positive

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

I got my sons report card today. He's in the fifth grade and he's not doing so bad, but he could be doing better. What bothers me the most though is the fact that in her comments she has NOTHING positive to say about him. She tells me that he needs to improve on certain areas and that's it! Is it me or am I overreacting? I've always gotten a report card that says something positive about my son. She is the first teacher of his that says nothing positive. He read it and thought that I would be upset or something. I had to reassure him that I wasn't and I felt bad about him feeling like that!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robbin74
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I think some teachers like to give comments because they are warm and loving teachers and some just want to do their jobs and be done with it. Thats how it seems with my children's teachers over the years.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:23 PM

She wants to focus on what needs improving, that's really all that matters anyway!

ILoveMy2Boys619
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I really wouldn't take it to heart. If it were me I would set up a conferrence so that she can explain what it is that he needs improvement in and come up with ways to help him. She should've explained it alot better.

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker

baseballMy Frankietoddler boyMy Jacobexpecting babyBaby Oops is on it's way

coffeeluvnmom3
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I would take offense, I wouldn't want someone, especially his teacher who is with him 5 days a week saying nothing but negative stuff...yeah..that would definitely frost my a**

rode15
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM

As a teacher myself, I always make sure to put something positive about each student.  

mysonsthree
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:54 PM
I think I'm the exact opposite on this subject. I'd rather the teachers stop patronizing me about my kids in school. I know they're great kids, I don't need the teacher to tell me they are. I want to hear what they're NOT doing, and only that. If there's nothing that needs improving, then I would rather they don't comment. I hated seeing, "***** is such a wonderful child, I LOVE having him in my class." And then they'd include what my son needed help on, I just felt like they were patronizing me by telling me the positive stuff and then switching direction. My kids are home schooled now, so it's a non issue, but I would rather they'd gotten to the point without the sappy milk toast comments.

thisloveofmine
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:57 PM

When I was growing up most of my teachers didn't even put any feedback, even when I was little. If I was doing bad that would definitely be on there though. She probably just doesn't have you know? Teachers a very busy people.

KittyD
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Quoting Robbin74:

I think some teachers like to give comments because they are warm and loving teachers and some just want to do their jobs and be done with it. Thats how it seems with my children's teachers over the years.

KittyD ~ Stop By My Page & Sign my Guest Book!

Kim370
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:01 PM

My son is in the sixth grade, and I do not think I have ever seen a comment on any of his report cards.  When there is a parent-teacher conference, that is when the teacher will give you positive comments about your son.  Remember, you can schedule a conference with a teacher anytime if you have any concerns.

HeartofGold
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:03 PM

As he gets older your see more and more of that. I rarely get anything in the comments except that she needs improvement and missing assignments. On the rarest of occasions I may get a positive comment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the group owner of the following groups:

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)