Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I just stressing or do I have a reason to feel overwhelmed...need advice

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM
  • 11 Replies

So my fiance and I are expecting our first baby (a boy :-)) in June. We have been engaged for over a year now and decided to hold off on the wedding because of the baby. Now due to certain circumstances we have decided to do a shot gun/ court house "wedding" and then have our official big day later on after baby asher is here and I have non pregnant emotions back.

So we call my parents, his parents/ste-parents and his step brother and his wife all to invite them to come because we want them a part of this important part of our lives. But I was not planning on making the ceremony a big deal in any way. Frankly I would be comfortable in jeans and sweatshirt say my "I Do's" making my amazing fiance my DH and going out for some dinner. Now everyone seems to be making it a much bigger deal than I envisioned it being. As in "what are you wearing" "are you gunna have a veil, flowers, a dress ect...." and Im starting to freakin out a little bit. I didnt exactly wanna plan all this stuff. Especially now, I am a full time college student have a full time job and im 5 months pregnant. Not exactly premo time for putting together an actual WEDDING.

Plus I want my TRUE wedding day. Thats all about me and that I have a ton of time to plan every last important and special detail. I DO NOT wanna make this "my day" or "our wedding" cuz its not. I want every girls fairytale....just not at this moment in time.

Is that wrong of me? Am I making a less deal out of something that really should be MUCH more important? Or do you understand where I am coming from?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
devasmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I think you should tell your family exactly what you wrote here.

of 6of 3 beautiful girls

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Obviously they are excited for you!  Let them make this a little special day for you.  Then, after things calm down a bit after the baby have your day.  But, anyone would feel overwhelmed in your situation.

1471640_1230664228_med-1.gif picture by jdavis2

Katenemsmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I think you explained yourself beautifully.  Just say that to your family.  That you want them to be there to support you. 

ForeverMeme
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Yes, tell your family! Your wedding your choice your way! 

Meme

"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. "

s.ayala
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM

My DH and I got married at the JP in shorts and tshirts. it was just a techincal thing, when he comes back from deployment then we are going to have our wedding and make memories for our children. Just let your family know that you will be at the point of a veil etc later but for now. you want to just make it offical. They are family they should respect your decision.

HipMama08
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Tell them what you said here. If they are truly excited and want to do something for you, maybe they can plan a small party/family gathering for after the wedding.

lilmomma92706
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I planned our wedding at 6 months pregnant, and had it 2 months later. I was 8 and a half months pregnant, we did it in my hubby's grandmothers front yard under the same tree his mom and step dad got married under. It was very low budget, ended up not having to worry about food (unwritten rule in his family that all events are potluck) and only spent money on the marraige license and flowers and a few very small things. Good luck, you can do it!

Are you a mama who is a sister Of Epsilon Sigma Alpha International. If so, join my group here.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/ESAintl

MommyAmber15
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Thanks everyone...

All your posts made me feel better. I apperciate the advice! :-) I am just going to do exactly what I want the way I want because this is my life and they are my family so I know they will love and support mine/our decision.

carlye828
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Tell them if they really want to do something special for you, they can open a savings account for your real wedding.  That way they will know you are by no means wanting to sink any money into this day.  Have you thought about getting re-married on your actual anniversary next year? 

MommyAmber15
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Quoting carlye828:

Tell them if they really want to do something special for you, they can open a savings account for your real wedding.  That way they will know you are by no means wanting to sink any money into this day.  Have you thought about getting re-married on your actual anniversary next year? 

OHHHHH! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS IDEA! I NEVER EVER THOUGHT OF THAT! Im so glad you wrote that. Getting re-married on the actual anniversary....thats probably exactly what we will do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)