Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Legal Question... Does anyone know? POLL

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:33 PM
  • 5 Replies

Poll

Question: Should he pay some of it?

Options:

Yes... it's illegal not to!

No, he should leave it alone!

He should call and ask!

Other, Please Explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

Ok, so DH had a lawyer back in 2003... he had a diversion with his case (i don't know if I said that right), but he says that he didn't fulfill the agreement... anywho the lawyer hasn't attempted to contact him in almost 3 years for the money that DH owes him (nearly $4000)... do you think he has decided that it is not worth the time... or do you think DH should pay some of it when we get our income tax (I just found out about this...)... What do you all think? I personally think he should just leave it alone because he is about to open up a big can of worms!

The Post Killas!

If you are a momma that always gets igored, or just a post killer... join my group!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
myfoursonsks
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Is it being reported on his credit report?

Really, if he owes the money, morally he should pay it despite the legality.  But, the lawyer may have already written it off as "bad debt" on his taxes, so he may not pursue it.

Fostersforbeer
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:37 PM

If I had the money to pay it off, I would...

If not.. I would slowly start saving because they WILL contact your DH.. and then that way if you have money saved up you dont have to scramble to pay them back..

and if they enver contact you... you have some money saved for whatever!

orionsmom1
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:37 PM

there was a "credit inquiry" in early 2008, but no it is not being reported on his credit report

Quoting myfoursonsks:

Really, if he owes the money, morally he should pay it despite the legality.  But, the lawyer may have already written it off as "bad debt" on his taxes, so he may not pursue it.

The Post Killas!

If you are a momma that always gets igored, or just a post killer... join my group!

myfoursonsks
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:39 PM

The lawyer may have written it off then.  But be careful, because when a debt that you owe is written off, it then becomes "income" to you because it is a debt you didn't have to pay.  So, it is supposed to be claimed on your income taxes.  You just may get a paper in the mail one of these years saying you have to claim that debt as income.

Quoting orionsmom1:

there was a "credit inquiry" in early 2008, but no it is not being reported on his credit report

Quoting myfoursonsks:

orionsmom1
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:40 PM

interesting... i didn't know that.. thanks for the info mama!

Quoting myfoursonsks:

The lawyer may have written it off then.  But be careful, because when a debt that you owe is written off, it then becomes "income" to you because it is a debt you didn't have to pay.  So, it is supposed to be claimed on your income taxes.  You just may get a paper in the mail one of these years saying you have to claim that debt as income.

Quoting orionsmom1:

Quoting myfoursonsks:

The Post Killas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)