Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need an opinion on keeping a bedroom warm..--made small edit in red at bottom-ADDED DIAGRAM

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:11 PM
  • 25 Replies

My room is sorta shaped like a T Just short and fat..

The one vent in the room is far from my dd, but i dont know how else to arange our room because we share it, and her stuff all fits on one end of the "t" there is a small octagon window in her area that did have plastic on it but it needs to be replaced but i have like 3 towels stuffed in there to block the draft.

We have a heater, but for some reason it randomly stopped working, and my mom is pissed and said if i go out and buy a new one that i might as well buy 2 because my stepdad thinks i purposly broke it andthey want me to replace it.. HELLO WHY WOULD I PURPOSLY BREAK IT IF ITS WHAT KEEPS US WARM UP HERE.

A small space heater isnt good because they are too little for my room, we would NEED another large one. Heat does come out of that one vent, but it doesnt stay on for long enough for this room. My bathroom is always toasty warrm, and its right outside my bedroom door in the hall.. and right infront of the bathroom is our stairs and there is another room across from my room. but is smaller. DD and i would fit all of our stuff in there but my parent dont want us in there because its right above their room and its not carpeted like this room so it would be colder.

would it be warmer up here if i were to somehow hang a sheet or blanket at the top of the stairs so the cold air stays on the stairs?

i think that keeping my door open would allow the heat from the bathroom help keep it warm in here, or should i shut my door???

a space heater would run ALL NIGHT just to stay warm. the one we had is a humidfier, heater, cooler, all in one, and its like one of those fan ones, but you have to put water in it..

* THE WIDEST PARTS OF OUR ROOM(SHAPED LIKE A T) IS 28X18...SHES AT ONE END OF THE TOP PART OF THE T AND IM AT THE BASE OF THE T.

I MADE A PICTURE OF IT BUT IT WOULDNT LET ME ADD THE PHOTO BECAUSE OF THE FORMAT...LET ME TRY AGAIN.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Our daughters' room was always cold, so DH bought a window insulation kit from Wal Mart.  It's just sheets of plastic that have double sided tape around it.  He put it around their windows and it warmed it up in an instant. 

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
kirasmommy7
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM

we do have 2 sheets of it that can cover 1 regular size window each...but im more worried about the one by her side of the bed...maybe if i alteast do the one by my bed and her bed

EsmeVincent
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM

ok it might be a bit pricy but worth the money, we have an electric heater that you can set on a temp and it will heat the room to that temp and every 10min it will check the temp and if the temp in the room drops 1degree below what you have it set on it will turn on and heat the room to 1degree above the setting.  I'll have to go look at the name of the one in my ds bedroom because thats what we have in his room and his room stays at that temp...its an energy saver also AND a air purifire(sp?)...I'll post back with the name

kirasmommy7
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM

well the way our room is shaped the heat never spreads out cause we do have a space heater that we had up here last winter and i put it as close to the middle as i could and by her bed was always ALOT cooler than mine...i will edit my post cause i forgot to add the dimentions cause it makes a difference

TXMOM1980
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM

everyone can share a bed. maybe we just have tow oil filled heaters one in our one and one int eh boys but or main living room is cold and our bath room is too.

kirasmommy7
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM

OK ADDED EDIT, AND SORRY THE DIAGRAM IS BLURRY, IT DID THAT WHEN I CHANGED THE FORMAT OF THE DRAWING...

clovismommy25
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Try getting a couple baseboard heaters, we have one in our room and one in DS's room and it works get. You can even get ones that you can set the temp for. put one by her side and one by yours, cover the windows with the plastic and blankets. You room will be dark but warm.

I am a 20 year old, former teen mommy with two children(ages 3 and 1.5 months),married to the father of both my children,high school graduate, exclusively breastfeeding, co-sleeping,vaccinating,circumcising, thumb sucking encouraging,disposable diaper using, lets my kids trash the house, then picks it up for them, going to public school, doesn't force church but believes in God, goes to bed angry, listen to heavy metal and country, reads constantly, plays world of war craft with my husband, pro-life, republican, stay at home mommy!!

mistyray
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM

my aunt uses a heater that we gave her and her room is so toasty warm. it is a sm space heater with a thermostat (just like someone else suggested) we got it from walmart for under $40.00. my aunt has single pain windows, so we went down to the thrift store and got some insulated curtains for her bedroom windows and put up a sheet in the door way of her bathroom and laundry room (my aunt is paralyzed on her left side and uses a wheelchair 80% of the time so most of her doors to other rooms have been removed)

you step dadhas to realize that heaters do not last for 50 years and just get over it. give it to him and let him take it out back and have a proper funeral for it and get over his grieving of a stupid heater.

IsaiahsMommy515
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM

We have an excellent space heater, its tiny, like a foot tall and less than a foot wide.  It rotates as it blows and you can set it to a certain temp so it will turn itself on and off as needed.  And it works fast, it heats up the whole basement within 5-10 min of turning it on.  It blows out HOT air.  It does heat the basement unevenly of course but if you got two and placed them at either end of the room it would be perfect.  And it was pretty cheap.  Cant remember the brand offhand (I'll check and repost) but if I were you I'd just look around for a good small space heater.

kirasmommy7
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Thanks for reminding me, we did put blakets up one year. and it helped...So what does people think about the door open or closed???? im a little freaked about the door being closed though...my door has to  be left open at night.

Quoting clovismommy25:

Try getting a couple baseboard heaters, we have one in our room and one in DS's room and it works get. You can even get ones that you can set the temp for. put one by her side and one by yours, cover the windows with the plastic and blankets. You room will be dark but warm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)