Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I a horrible mother? Please help..

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM
  • 52 Replies

My oldest son is 27 months old, and I don't cook.  Don't know how.  I've been still feeding my son the Gerber 3rd foods because of me not knowing how to cook I'm afraid that what I give him will not give him all the nutrients he needs.  The reason I stick to the Gerber foods is because I know they are well-balanced.  Tonight, I was feeding him dinner and he absolutely refused to eat much of anything.  He is always a good eater and I know he is just getting tired of eating those foods all the time.  Wouldn't you?  I would.  But I don't know what to do.  What can I feed him that he'll like and still get him the nutrients he needs?  Believe me, mac and cheese is the only thing that comes to mind (that I know how to cook), and I can't give him that all the time.

Amanda

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tfmmpmmdmmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM

You need to get you a cookbook that has easy recipes in it.

starleigh21
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Umm, my only suggestion is to buy a cookbook and try cooking.  He can't eat baby food for the rest of his life. Broccoli, carrots, potatoes, different kinds of vegetables are easy to make, along with different meats. Just do basic foods till you get the hang of cooking.

perrywinkle
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Bump- my ds is too young for food yet. I don't know what to feed a toddler.

Joanna_M
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Cooking can be intimidating at first, but its really not hard. I didn't used to think I could, but then when my LO was born I became the family chef. Just start with easy things and work your way up.

Water in a pot + frozen veggies = yummy.

You can boil chicken breasts and cut them up into everything. I've yet to burn them this way.

Ground meat + veggies+ sauce, pour over pasta.

Just start trying stuff. Better to learn now before he starts complaining.

JMVITT
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Well like the above said, a cook book.  Umm and if your too afraid ,in the baby aisle is those microwave meals.  I also did kids kitchen stuff.  Umm you can also feed him oatmeal, either make it yourself or buy the box where all you do is add milk.  HTH!

cmb121906
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM

You really need to learn he needs something more. Start off small, like a grilled chz and some fruit. It's honestly not that hard to learn how to cook.

Come join my anything goes type of group  http://www.cafemom.com/group/46317/

teresa06

I dont cook either. mac and cheese and tv dinners is what my daughter gets. she has been off baby food since she was like 10 months.

Laura4807

umm... cooking is not that hard. and you can't learn if you dont TRY

- Im the self proclaimed Drama Queen named Laura; I piss nothing but excellence, I'm a mom of the perfect Princess Lorelai, and the fiance to the greasy, yet sexy mechanic, Chris. I'm often sarcastic so don't take what I say to heart; I certainly won't take what YOU say to heart because: Computer screens don't scare me, nor do they hurt my feelings.

calebsmommy2208
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM

ask ur mom or someone ur friends with that lives close to come over and teach u how to cook i never knew how to cook until i got with my bf and moved in with him and now im a better cook then what my mom is and i dont use cookbooks its not that hard hun trust me

tfmmpmmdmmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Those meals are good too. They usually have a variety of veggies and stuff he can eat. You really need to learn how to cook though. This will help you in the long run. It's really not hard. Just go step by step from the recipes and then you'd be able to do them without looking, lol. It just takes practice. Don't get discouraged no one was a born chef.

Quoting JMVITT:

Well like the above said, a cook book.  Umm and if your too afraid ,in the baby aisle is those microwave meals.  I also did kids kitchen stuff.  Umm you can also feed him oatmeal, either make it yourself or buy the box where all you do is add milk.  HTH!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)