Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UNBELIEVEABLE (Caylee Anthony)

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:23 PM
  • 6 Replies

Just saw this posted in the Orlando Sentinel newspaper website. 

The Caylee Marie Anthony tribute doll

Amy L. Edwards | Sentinel Staff Writer
4:10 PM EST, January 26, 2009
Caylee Doll

Showbiz Promotions' Caylee inspired doll. (SHOWBIZ PROMOTIONS / January 26, 2009)

A Jacksonville promotions company plans to sell a doll as a tribute to slain toddler Caylee Marie Anthony.

The Inspirational Caylee Sunshine Doll will go on sale Tuesday for $29.99.

The blonde-haired, 18-inch doll wears jeans and a T-shirt depicting a sun and the phrase: "CAYLEE SUNSHINE." The song "You Are My Sunshine" plays when her belly button is pushed.

Jaime Salcedo, president of Showbiz Promotions, said he is not selling a doll that looks exactly like Caylee because it would be too morbid and difficult for the public.

Instead, he said, they want to honor and respect Caylee's life by bringing awareness to her case.

"We want it to be a tribute," he said.

Salcedo said this is the first product his promotions company will sell that is inspired by the victim of a crime.

Salcedo said he plans to donate a portion of the proceeds to charity -- though he does not have an organization lined up yet.

Salcedo said he's waiting to hear back from several organizations, including the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. He is considering donating $3 for every doll sold.

Asked about whether it's appropriate for his company profit on Caylee's death, Salcedo said he is anticipating critics.

"I think that that is going to come up," he said.

Salcedo said the public does not understand what it costs to make the doll, ship it, import it, and his company's expenses.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
usmcvalle
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:24 PM

The selling of this doll has already been haulted.

JAX_Mami
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:25 PM

yeah its sick and he should be ashamed of trying to make a profit off it. he only wants to donate 3 dollars of a 30 dollar doll. the guy is from where i'm from and i'm ashamed. someone else posted about this earlier and they have a poll going.

BUT

flmom33
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:26 PM

I'm just getting in from work, so this is the first I've heard or seen of this.  Didn't know if anyone else had posted it or not.

Pegarina
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:27 PM

I am completely appalled that they have done this. That poor baby hasn't even gotten a proper funeral yet. They should be ashamed.

armyvetmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:30 PM

i think this doll was made in poor taste.  if you want to honor a poor, murdered child, you shouldn't do it with a cheap plastic doll that you're CLAIMING to be making in honor of her, just for a quick buck.  jmo.  (then again, i didn't finish reading the article, are all profits made being donated, or just a portion of them?)

I am a U.S Army Combat Veteran of OIF

flmom33
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM

From what someone else posted, they've apparently halted the selling of the dolls.  Thank goodness!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)