Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need ideas fast please

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:42 PM
  • 9 Replies

so my pre-k aged dd has to do a science fair experiment/project and it cant be anything like a volcano or the solar system. it has to be an actual experiment. and she has to do most of it. i can only help her a little bit. what would you all think would be good. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. i thought of this one

how dirty is the air

what you need: 4 index cards, 4 ziplock bags, petroleum jelly, plastic knife, vacuum, and dust rag

what you do: spread the petroleum jelly on two of the cards and place one under your bed and the other on a shelf. then wait 2 days and take them out and put each of them in a ziplock bag and record how much dust is on each of them. then you vacuum and dust and repeat. once complete you compare all the cards.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kristalee83
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:50 PM
it might be cheesy but maybe rainbows would be fun... you know how light is separated into colors... kinda toned down for 4 yr old to understand.... making your own rainbow (light spectrum plus water/ roy g biv red orange yellow green blue indigo violet)maybe even as far as red plus yellow is orange, yellow and blue is green.... ya know? hope it helps.... oh yeah also check out stevespanglerscience.com he used to be an elementary science teacher and has really fun easy stuff.... he started the diet coke and mentos explosion thing :) GOOD LUCK!!!
MrsDuNn06
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:50 PM

dancing rasiens

Why do the raisins bob to the surface?
Soda water contains dissolved carbon dioxide gas that collects on the irregular surfaces on the raisins. Once enough bubbles have collected, it will actually lift the raisins to the surface where the gas is released into the air, causing the raisins to sink once again.

what you need:

For this experiment you will need:

• a can of colorless soda (e.g., 7-Up or Sprite)
  • a tall, clear glass or plastic cup
  • several raisins (fresh raisins work the best)

CarterMommy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:52 PM

i have no idea but if my son has to do that in pre k next year i'm sure i'll be on here asking this same thing lol

good luck

CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM

wave

Hi
sadeyez11,

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!
\The CafeMom Admin Team

pkrdiesel
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Hi,

Kids love to just be outside learning. So you could do a craft about weather.

Make a rain catcher. 

Or a windsock.  - directions for one Step by Step:

1. Cut off the bottoms of little brown lunch bags.  
2. Have kids decorate the bag however they want.
3. Help them glue streamers on.
4. Attach a handle made from construction paper.  

Materials:
Lunch bags
Crepe paper
Glue
Construction paper
Stapler
Stuff to decorate -stickers, paint, glitter, streamers or confetti-left over from b-day parties or new years eve..

science is not just chemistry.  I nuked that out with my son who is now 7.  Science at pre-school is just learning about the world around them and how it works.Planting a seed and watching it grow.   My son's pre-school "science" center had magnets.  If you do something with magnets, make sure they are big enough that kids can't swallow them. try a craft store- they have lots of do it yourself paint your own puzzles and other items at stores like Hobby lobby or Michaels.  The wind sock idea I thought would be an easy one b/c it's things most moms have around the house already. 

On a personal note: Whatever you decide to do make sure to do it in the spirit of exploring. For Myself, I often have to take a deep breath and just meditate or zone out for a minute or two before doing activities with my kids to calm down and make sure my mindset is peaceful.

3frenchfries
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:52 PM

get a jar of water, yellow and blue food coloring or red and blue food coloring...dd can mix them

See what happens when you add yellow to water then what happens when you add blue! Super Easy

3frenchfries
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Take a Can of soda pop...add lime juice from a key lime or regular lime(the result should be that the bubbles from the pop will pop off the surface rather than just pop at the surface)

Bean sprouts...put some beans in a platic storage bag between two damp paper towels...should have sprouts in a few days...she can track the progress for the presentation

Meissilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:10 PM

your  idea sounds cool .. but do you really want to see the  results ???  lol

You could  do expiriments on ice . See how  fast it melts . 

4 plates    4 ice cubes

1 plate  with  just the ice cube

plate #2  plate with cold  water

plate #3  plate with  warm water

plate #4  plate with  salt. 

have him take pictures every  so many  mins ... and  ask  him what the  difference is . 

you can also have  him  hold on to a  metal spoon on one end and the other end put it in the  cube of ice .  and see what it  does to the ice . 

sunmoonstars
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 3:48 PM

wow pre-k!!!

check out this post - http://www.cafemom.com/group/93341/boards/read/6790389/Science_Fair_Project_help

If you dont like any of the ideas given to you already, really do check out the Science Buddies link in that post - I know it has kindergarden age stuff!

HTH!

Tonya

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)