Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

BREEDER VS. SHELTER

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:04 PM
  • 127 Replies

Poll

Question: WHICH ONE DO YOU HAVE

Options:

SHELTER

BREEDER

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 154

View Results

I AM THINKING ABOUT GETTING A DOG I HAVE A 3,10,11 YEAR OLD KIDS. IVE HEARD SOME HORROR STORIES CONCERNING SHELTER DOGS. I JUST REALLY WANT TO KNOW THE PROS AND CONS TO GETTING A SHELTER DOG AND BREEDER DOG

GOT TEA ?

by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
two4one
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a shelter dog and will only get a shelter or rescue dog in the future. I refuse to be a party to the killing of innocent animals, and by buying a breeder dog you are dooming those already in shelters to euthanasia.

SHelter dogs are great. Many times they have been fostered and can be matched up with the perfect family. Contrary to popular belief, most dogs are not relinquished because of behavior problems. Here is the list of the top ten reasons given:

1. Moving

2. Landlord issues

3. Cost of pet maintenance

4. No time for pet

5. Inadequate facilities

6. Too many pets in home

7. Pet illness(es)

8. Personal problems

9. Biting

10. No homes for littermates

And the part about biting can be for any reason.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

skinnyminnie121
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I have three purebred WGSDs. The dogs I tried to adopt from shelters did not work out for my family and it was heartbreaking to my children. If I were single I would do the shelter thing but not with children.

Ethansmom85
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:20 PM

we had a BAD experience with a shelter and sent it right back. Its nice that youd like to TRY to help out a dog...but personally is just isnt worth the risk.

We ONLY do breeders now.

ErikaM27
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:21 PM

we got my Lab from the Shelter when he was a puppy. Haven't had any issues he was fixed and everything for $80.00!

rowansmum
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I will only take a shelter dog or a stray,  "breeder" can usually mean "puppy mill" it's sick.  Ya sure there are great breeders out there but why take the chance?  Besides,  a shelter dog needs a home unlike the breeders pets.  And cost,  we got the most amazing dog (mutt granted) for loads less than the "breeder" wanted for the EXACT same matchup of breeds who was trying to market a large designer breed. 

pregnancy
CatInFla
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I have 5 dogs..yep I'm nuts..and I got them from shelters,breeders and owners that had ooops puppies. My advice is if you get a shelter puppy try for 5 months or younger, they're still easily trained at that age if you take the time. I've adopted adult dogs from there a time or 2 over my 20 yr marriage and they had major issues( which is why a lot of them are turned in truly). One I had to bring back because she attacked my then 4 yr old son, no where on her owner turn in paper work did it say she wasn't good with children running around. Another one I got as an older dog could NOT be house broken for love or money...again not something the owner turn paperwork mentioned. As far as breeders go I'd want to meet the parents & check out the puppies living conditions. The parents help you see your puppies temperment genes as well as well as their socialization ability. We just got a 4 1/2 month old white german shepherd puppy from a couple that bred their pair just once before fixing the mother. The mother was 2 days out of surgery was so sweet tempered and loving still I knew my new little girl would be too. Good luck!

Cat

lovemymarine306
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:26 PM

i would never do a shelter...i want to know where my dog has been.  we got our current dog from a famiy who couldn't take care of him anymore and it was a big mistake.  now we're trying to find a new home for him...he's extrememly destructive.  from now on we're only getting puppies!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tes...Jacksmami
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I didn't have a good experiance with the shelter, my puppy died of parvo before I even got to bring her home. Apparently most of the puppies in that shelter die of parvo, then another dog I had to give up because of my health, (she is living with family) she is happier there now, she just didn't fit into our family. However I have gotten puppies from breeders a number of times and they were all good. Oops no that isn't true, I had one turn out to be mean. No clue why. I know everyone says that shelter dogs 'need' homes but if someone doesn't buy the puppies then they will just end up in the shelter anyway. So why not get them before they have to go through that?

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become real."
                                                                                  -The Velveteen Rabbit.

edenchai
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I only adopt shelter/rescue animals.  There are people that have tried and had bad experiences with shelter animals... but aside from agression (where the dog would go back immeadiately) a shelter dog doesn't always have the best manners.  They just need time, attention, love, discipline...just like a kid...And just like any puppy you'd bring home, though the dog may or may not be a puppy.

Also, as much as I like pure breeds, they come with more health problems and a shortened life expentancy compared to most mutts...so regardless of your choice RESEARCH the breeds!!!

If you go with a puppy from a shelter, you're not going to have any more problems with them than you would a puppy from a breeder. 

Your other option is to look at resuce groups in your area (some even go to shelters and rescue dogs, rehabilitate, etc...).  Most of them foster their dogs out so they are used to a "house" setting.  Also, since the foster "parents" are around the animal as much as an owner would be, they can give you a good idea about temperment, personality traits, things that need to be worked on, etc...

Good luck in making your choice :)

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby TickerDaisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

candie241983
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Well I have got both,  I breed bloodhounds and if I do buy from a breeder it is a reputable one. Not all breeders run puppy mills. I am always willing to take back  any puppy I sell for whatever reason.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN