Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

son sick mother in law made me feel like a horrid mother!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:26 AM
  • 29 Replies

Well my son is sick and he has been having trouble breathing at night. so this is what i do, i give him a real warm bath with the vaporized soothing shampoo for babies i believe it is in a green bottle johnsons makes it. anyways that helps him a little bit. so i then dress him in warm jammies and put him to bed where i have a vaporizer and the room is set to be a little warmer. well today she was over around my sons bed time routine and she scared me half to death. she started yelling at me that i am not suppose to use so much of the vapor stuff becouse her doctor told her that kids get sick from breathing all that crap in that they develope some kind of "Gunk" ( tumors) in their lungs and they could died. She told me that when you have kids you have to know everything and she asked me that if i wanted to hold the guilt of killing my son and all that crap! i just couldnt take it and i left to my room and cried!

is it true thou? can you get sick like she said or is she just being a wench?

My son is 3 yrs old i forgot to add that! sorry. ooh and i dont use the rub just the vicks plug in thing.

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunnyJoJo
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:28 AM

I've been told the only thing you need to worry about is putting it inside their nose. Gosh I use gobs of that stuff on myself and no tumors yet! *Knock on wood* And if they are to young for it, like using the adult rub on a 4 month old. But i've never heard that you can't use it because it causes tumors or lung problems. I ask my doctor about vapor rub all the time with Layla because she's always got a stuffy nose.

One Love, One Heart, One Soul...

Thank You Bob Marley

Jaxonsmom19
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:28 AM

OMG i want to punch her. God... I wanna punch a lot of people lately. I simply do not think that is true.

Do you have cute kids?! Want to enter them in contests for fun and get awesome photo edits?! Then add my design/contest site http://www.myspace.com/babymamalayouts2008!

jennifer16
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:29 AM

I think she is full of it. I do the exact same thing but also add putting vapor rub on his bottom of feet if he is coughing. I have told my doctor that Is what we do and he has never mentioned that was anything to be concerned about!!!

I will check it out on snopes and see if it is true!!

EDIT: I didn't see anything on there about it but I dont think it is true!!

ZacharyCainsmom

Ive never heard that. You would think that if it was true, they would put a "CAUTION" thing on the bottle. I think she is just being a bitch

MandiK

I hope it's not true! My daughter has used all that stuff. I'm sure there would be some sort of warning if it were true...

momofcmnj

Never heard of that before confused Sounds like she was just trying to make you feel bad.

baby boybaby boybaby girlbaby boy

Jason                     Nicholas               Melanie                 Colin

6-27-08                   11-28-06              2-26-05                6-25-90

Mommy2Max217
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:30 AM

When you're a mother you're supposed to know EVERYTHING? Did she seriously say that? Excuse me for not going to Mommy School and Acing the classes.

I don't know if that's true or not. If it was, I would be very polite with how I said it. There's no reason to freak out on someone over something they didn't know. Simply, and calmly, inform them. Bam, future-possible damage prevented.

And what vapor stuff? In his room or in his shampoo? If it's in his room I don't really know what you're talking about unless you mean a machine that pumps water into the air (or out of it) which would be ridic that a kid get sick on that. And if you mean his shampoo...it's made for babies. how could it harm them if that's what it's for.

BrittanyFabiano
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:31 AM

They say that you should not use vicks in their vaporizor until they are 2 years old. I use it with my daughter though and she is 10  months old. No they can not get tumors they just say that it might cause their lungs to not develop right. But our parents used it with us and we are all ok aren't we??? Don't worry about it you are the mom and the good part about that is that YOU get to make the decisions. So tell her to go screw herself and to leave you alone. Good Luck!

CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:31 AM

What a Witch! My family has used Vicks forever and no one has tumors so I call BULLSHIT!

mommyof2lovebug
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:31 AM

ummm, strange.... I used that vapor bath stuff when my daughter at the croup at 7 months old, along with the vaporizer, and the vapor plug In's. It did seem to help some along with me propping her up so she wasn't lying flat. My pediatrician suggested all those things. So i think it's fine. I've never heard of that it wasn't! Sorry she made you feel soo crappy! MIL's can be so over bearing! 

ladybugSARAH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)