Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Someone has already claimed your dependent...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:54 AM
  • 10 Replies

I got an e-mail back from h&r block that my return had been rejected because someone had already claimed a dependent. It is our year to claim ss and as far as I know bm didn't claim him (she says she didn't anyways). We went to a tax service place yesterday but they wanted to take $450 for fees and services so we told them we will do it ourselves. Well now I get this message. Could it be because we gave the other place our info? I didn't think they had submitted it to the IRS though.

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:00 AM

You can file a form the the IRS and they wil hault the return that the said child is on....the down part is...they won't reveal who it is! 

CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:46 AM


Hi Luna091306

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!
\The CafeMom Admin Team

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:51 AM

My father-in-law retired from the IRS, but I'm always picking his brain. At this point if an ex claimed your dependant I don't think there isn't really anything you can do about it unless you take her to court and that's only if it's in the decree (if there s a divorce involved.) I'm not sure if you can call the IRS and claim fraud charges on this person or not, but that might be something you look into.

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:54 AM

The best thing you can do is go to and find the 800 number, and call.  do it in the morning (I think the lines open at 8.30am eastern time) and be prepared to wait a little.  Have your paperwork on hand.

They are incredibly helpful and will tell you exactly what you need to do and what your options are.  Remember, they work for us and are a resource for us. 

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I work for the h&r competition.

Double check the social security number. Unless you signed paperwork at H&R it is illegal for them to submit your return to the irs.

Call the irs and double check. Then your only option is filing a paper return and including documentation that you get to claim said dependant this year. Your return will take longer but irs will sort it out.

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:01 AM

my ex claimed our daughter two years ago on taxes...well we also claimed her.  You will and can get your money back.  all you have to do is prove that your dd=ds lives with you such as school they attend...court papers of custody perhaps the child's pediatricians has records of the mailing address of yours etc...

we actually didnt have to do this.  we got a letter from IRS after we got our taxes back while he got the money back too.  We did not have to prove anything because we already had our money and without reason because our accountant did our taxes.  My ex actually had to repay because she did not live him. 

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:07 AM

I would double check that the other place didnt file the return. If they didnt i would notify the irs about it. GL that really stinks

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:12 AM

i had to file a paper return the first yr i moved out of my parents house because when my mother did their taxes they still claimed me. I got my money and then the next yr we both got letters from the IRS about it. my parents had to pay back the money they got from claiming me (i was 19 and hadnt lived at home since i was 18)

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I can help.. in NY anyways.. last yr my brother claimed his son and wasn't supposed to.. My nephew's mom just ended up amending her taxes and got the money due to her... just go talk to a tax person and it can be done.. she just had to wait till like April to get the other money I think.. Good luck to you.

by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 11:09 AM

IRS Form 8253 ladies. If you are the custodial parent, you meet all the conditions to claim that child.

I spoke with a friend on this same topic this morning. She is separated and has had her children all year. Her soon to be ex-husband only made 1 child support payment on 12-19-08 and had the nerve to claim both kids.

So she is waiting on the phone for an IRS rep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)