Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please tell me it gets easier! :)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:11 AM
  • 11 Replies

My cousins wife just had their second baby the other day.  She went into labor about 10 am and had her by 1 pm.  She had the easiest delivery, no stitches, was ready to go home the same day of delivery.  Her first delivery wasn't as easy, not sure about all the details but I know she was in labor longer the first time around.  My delivery first time around was TRAUMATIC!!!  23 hours of labor, 2 epidurals, pushed for 2 1/2 hours and she had to be pulled out with forceps.  I hurt so bad afterwards that 2 days later when they told me they were sending me home I almost wanted to cry and beg to stay longer.  I was in so much pain and couldn't imagine how I was going to take care of a baby feeling like that.  Anyhow, my question is to those of you who have had 2+, was it an easier birth after the first?  I'm wanting 2 more kids so I need some hope that it does get easier! :)

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Michelle2003mom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Every labor and delivery is different!! just because number 1 was hard on you doesn't mean your future ones will be. Good luck!!! My 3rd was the easiest by far. Oh, and once you have done it before, it is easier. Your body will remember what to do.

TheresaMomof9
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:18 AM

It gets easier. group hug

Much. And you also adjust your expectations. My first was so difficult I thought I would never have the big family I wanted. Then came #2 at a whopping 10 lbs and the nurse was telling me it was time to push and I said, "But it doesn't hurt yet"!!! (It really didn't--he must have been laying on a nerve or something)

Some births will be more difficult than others, regardless of how many you have. My hardest births were #1, 4, and 7....Easiests were #2 and #9. The others fell somewherein the middle. Congratulations on your new little one. Don't try to do too much at once. Your body needs to recuperate. The pain will fade and you'll do fine with more. As you will soon find out, they are SOOOOO worth it!! {{hugs}}

T.

cowgirls10181
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:19 AM

my first was 8 hrs in delivery my second lasted only 3 hrs one on the drive in and 2 their i didnt have any drugs for my second one thank goodness she was quick. i had more bh with my daughter but none with my son

Tazabeau
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I was in labour for 25 1/2 hours, and pushed for about 2, had an epesiatomy (sp), as well for my daughter. My Dr. said that most women follow the history of their mothers labours. So if your mothers labours got easier, yours will also, most likely. My mother had 8 children, her shortest labour (and easiest, she said) was 17 hours. I never had any more, not for not wanting, but we had trouble having the first, so didn't try for more.

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Quoting Michelle2003mom:

Every labor and delivery is different!! just because number 1 was hard on you doesn't mean your future ones will be. Good luck!!! My 3rd was the easiest by far. Oh, and once you have done it before, it is easier. Your body will remember what to do.

wendy1978
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:21 AM

It varies, my 3rd was the smallest but took me an hour to push him out. My first labor was longest but I pushed him out in 10 mins. Second labor I was induced..labor took abt 5.5 hrs and I pushed for 30  mins.  

I love my boys !boy kissing mombaby boybaseball

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Every pregnancy is different, every labor and delivery is different. You can't compare them. My sil was pre-eclamptic and had an abrupted placenta and an emergent c-section with her 1st dd (who was also 1 month early)...not to mention she literally had 90 days of nausea and vomiting...her 2nd dd, a breeze! No probs, full term, and a VBAC delivery. They're 16 and almost 15 now, and they've got a 3yr old son, again, no probs with either the pregancy or delivery.  

I can't compare my deliveries...I had a broken leg with an external fixator on with my 2nd and he was smaller, my 1st was bigger. With my 1st I had back labor and my epidural ran out, so I felt my episiotomy. The only difference...for me...was that after the delivery when your uterus shrinks..it hurt more the 2nd time. I DID tho have to plan inductions for both boys...they were both overdue...my 1st 10 days, my 2nd 7.

lex126
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Quoting Tazabeau:

I was in labour for 25 1/2 hours, and pushed for about 2, had an epesiatomy (sp), as well for my daughter. My Dr. said that most women follow the history of their mothers labours. So if your mothers labours got easier, yours will also, most likely. My mother had 8 children, her shortest labour (and easiest, she said) was 17 hours. I never had any more, not for not wanting, but we had trouble having the first, so didn't try for more.

I had this expectation, all the women in my family were only in labr for a few hours and had easy deliveries.  They also all delivered a few days early, not me...1 week late! :)

elvir2babes
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:23 AM

hugs

Divorced, Separated, Single or Widowed Moms! Check out this awesome group!! http://www.cafemom.com/group/ConfidentSingleMoms

lex126
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Quoting TheresaMomof9:

It gets easier. group hug

Much. And you also adjust your expectations. My first was so difficult I thought I would never have the big family I wanted. Then came #2 at a whopping 10 lbs and the nurse was telling me it was time to push and I said, "But it doesn't hurt yet"!!! (It really didn't--he must have been laying on a nerve or something)

Some births will be more difficult than others, regardless of how many you have. My hardest births were #1, 4, and 7....Easiests were #2 and #9. The others fell somewherein the middle. Congratulations on your new little one. Don't try to do too much at once. Your body needs to recuperate. The pain will fade and you'll do fine with more. As you will soon find out, they are SOOOOO worth it!! {{hugs}}

T.

Thanks, but she's not so new anymore, she's 7 months now. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)