Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you became a mom...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:39 PM
  • 48 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you lose a friend/friends when you had your kids?

Options:

Yes, one.

Yes, more than one.

No

Other....because theres always that one damn person lol EXPLAIN!!!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 114

View Results

...did you lose any friends??

I did. I had 2 friends who blantently came out and said they couldnt relate to me anymore and they had to move on. I am 22 yrs old...I was military; that in itself changes you as a person. It makes you appreciate more in life. Then when you have a child, it makes you even MORE responsible (or at least it should). So my partying days were done...my son comes first hands down.

They blew off my baby shower, because they got trashed at a party the night before and claimed "they were too ashamed to call"...then later at our breakup said they never wanted to come...that a shower just wasnt their "thing".

I think its bullshit. Its life altering events that make you realize who your TRUE friends are....I love my son...and NOTHING will EVER come before him!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jazzyandpat
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:41 PM

i did but didnt.. when i became a mom i still had the same friends. only friends i lost was the ones i worked with.

Ethansmom85
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:42 PM

bump

ma2b08
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I can totally relate! I was 21 and in college when I became pregnant. I had devoted YEARS of my life, my time, energy, talent, not to mention TONS of money to my sorority. They were my "sisters" best friends for life...Well then I stopped partying and spending so much time with them (I was pregnant and trying to work on the fairly new relationship with my now DH)...They didnt come to my shower, werent there when she was born and not a single one of them have called me since I gave birth. I would also like to note that I live 1/2 hour away from my college so it's not a distance thing...

I'm Ashley...And this is the kind of Mama I am...

Natural birthing, breast-feeding, co-sleeping, non-vaccinating, non-CIO, pit bull enthusiast/owner, organic feeding, bilingual teaching, pro-life, Jesus loving, OBAMA supporting, Mama to Ivy Aeryn (my Mothers Day gift!) and step-mama to Kyli Marie and TTC #2!

ebbierowe
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM

many of my friends had kids in high school so when I had my daughter at 20 it was no big deal....i just couldn't babysit as much

american flag ribbon 
Kisser of Boo-Boos, Maker of Cupcakes, Planner of Parties, Chauffer of Child Stars, Giver of Hugs, Defender of Sweet Dreams and the completely exhausted Mommy of Asia and Roman

Tummy Trouble??? http://www.cafemom.com/group/85015

listening to tunes           baseball
Asia Briana             Roman Anthony
8-1-97                        6-27-01

MandySilver87
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM

i said other... i didn't have friends who decided not to be my friends because i have kids.... i have just drifted from many of them because i don't go out and party... and i don't always have time for them. i know it sounds bad to say i don't have time for my friends, but it's true. most of them don't have time for me, either.

B.A.G.
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM

your "friends" sound like douche bags anyway. of course your not going to "relate" on a certain level, and you may give up certain things, but your still the same person that you were before. 

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
rag_dollmom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM

friends no, people I used to party with yes but it doesn't really bother me. I don't see my friends as much as I used to though.

SCmommy106
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I didn't lose any friends because I only had a few close ones that either had children alreda ot where ttc. My DH however lost a few of his best friends around the time we got married because they were all sinlge and just looking to party and go out to bars and my DH didn't want any part of that. His best friend in perticular blew off our wedding, our DD's christening, her first birthday and a going away party I threw for my DH when we awere getting ready to move. My poor DH never gave up hope fro his best friend but after all of that he had had it with him. I feel so bad because I sometimes feel like if I had not come into his life he ould still be friends with this person.

GoVolmama
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM

My bff from high school doesn't talk to me at all anymore. She was excited and came to the hospital but then she got married had two step kids and then divorced cause she cheated on her hubby while the step kids were there. I told her what I thought and now I don't ever hear from her. The other two friends just call me or text me on Holidays or when they have a "major" life crisis. Seriously you find out who your friends are when you have kids. 

Carolbrady100
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I agree! I wouldnt want friends like that anyway! You will meet all kind of new mommy friends now.

Quoting B.A.G.:

your "friends" sound like douche bags anyway. of course your not going to "relate" on a certain level, and you may give up certain things, but your still the same person that you were before. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)