Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ready to give up

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM
  • 7 Replies

Please read all of this before you click away or reply... i could really use some kind words right about now.

My husband and i moved into the place we are at on january 16th. Since then, our car has been broken into four times. three of the times being about a week ago and in a row! last night being the fourth time. now our car doors wont open from the inside, and our back drivers side door wont open at all.

The cops are useless. they weren't even going to investigate it the first time it happened. they just say sorry sucks to be you but we cant do anything about it.

Now, after doing our own investigating, we have discovered that the great cute little neighborhood we thought we moved into is actually a horrible nighborhood in the ghetto and gang territory. There are break ins, shootings, and drug dealings going on regularly. With it being freezing cold right now its not as bad cuz no one wants to be out in the negative degree weather... but once the warmer days get here i fear what could happen to my family and myself. I dont want to be walking to the car in labor ready to go to the hospital and get shot at by some young crack head who thought i was in a rival gang. Every day i am living in fear because multiple times i have heard people up on our porch, usually when my son and i are taking our nap. And if they have broken into our car four times obviously the house is the next choice. And we signed a one year lease with the landlord and cant get out of it.

We haven't even been here a month!! and thats not the worst of it. We have no money now because getting this house has set us back quite a bit. But we had to move out of where we were living before because we were staying with my grandparents who are both suffering from alzheimers (sp) and my grandpa is an abusive alcoholic.

Plus, we are expecting our second baby in april and i have such excrutiating pain in my back and legs that i cant walk or move without help most of the time. ugh.. and we have family living with us right now, (three of them teenagers) and all they do is stress me out.

I am at the end of my rope here. i am constantly stressed, constantly scared, and most days all i want to do is crawl into a hole and cry. I dont know how much more of this i can take. I am short tempered with everyone now, including my son, and thinking about haveing the baby doesn't even make me happy anymore. now it just makes me scared and sick with worry that something horrible is going to happen.

I dont know what to do. Does anyone have any advice or words of support? i think i could really use some right now.

Group admin in Join us!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM

wow im sorry your going through this....but i think that if you can afford it i would step up som video cameras around your house and by your car and on your porch....and then get rid of all the un needed stress like the extra people living with can get out of the lease if you find someone to replace you......i hope this helps.

If anyone ever needs advice on relationships like marriage, friends, family, or thinking about divorce or you are divorced and need help with your es husband?.....join this new group!!!
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I'm so sorry, you are in a bad situation and you don't need to be in constant fear when you are pregnant. Go on line and look into the landlord/tenant laws for where you live. I would bet that you can get out of your lease if you don't feel safe there. Even if the cops don't do anything about the break ins, still call and report it. keep a very throughal paper trail to everything that is going on.

Start a log book and write down the time and date of each thing that happens there, that makes you feel unsafe. Call your landlord and tell him when your car is broken into, document that too. I'm pretty sure you can get out of your lease under those circumstances. Make sure you are anal about documenting everything. Good luck! You cant live like this!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I am sorry that you are going through all of this. And i can relate to the cops not doing their job to, my fiance's ex broke into our house, we caught her in the house called the cops, and they let her continue to go through our stuff and take what she wanted.

I hope things don't go too horrible when the snow melts and the weather warms up. And, work on saving money so you can get out of their asap. If it regarded the safety of my family and my kids, i'd be breaking the 1 year lease and take the loss with it. Safety is number 1.

Good Luck with everything, I hope things turn around for you while you are there!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:58 PM

damn .i hope it gets better for you soon.Can i ask what state you are in? 

CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Hi Ninjabear

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!
\The CafeMom Admin Team

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:11 PM

If you can find someone else to live there you can usually get out of the lease. But if there is no way to get out i'd shell out some money for a security system. Does your car not have one? I'm suprised they got away with breaking into it four times.

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I would def. look up the tenant laws in your state.  I would think that feeling unsafe, and especially since you have police reports of when your car was broken into, there is a way to get out of your lease, and maybe even get your deposit back.  Im sorry to hear about your situation, I hope everything works out for you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)