Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home daycare center question. Advice please.

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:21 PM
  • 5 Replies

I live in California and I have decided that by the time my soon to be 3 year old in April goes to Kindergarten I want to be able to work from home. I was thinking about opening a home daycare with about 6 kids. I read on line about licensing requirements and things like that. I believe that I can get help from the state for food and I will need to provide supplies for arts and crafts projects. My question is how much should I charge per child. Idealy I would like to watch 4 school age children and then 2 infant/toddlers. And if any of you have or have had a home daycare any advice would be great.

have a nice day

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kgsharber
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I charge full-time period. Whether they come ft time or not I charge $70/week. I know that's cheap someplaces, but that is the going rate around here.

CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:23 PM

wave

Hi
cassismommy4106,

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!
\The CafeMom Admin Team

Vandyswife
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:26 PM

What kind f advise are you looking for.. I have a 7 week old i watch right now, i have watched a 15 month old, and i used to work at a day care. I only watch ne child at a time usually but im also not going thru state fnding or anything else... I charge 50 dollars a week but in Oklahoma the going rate is about 100 so i just cut it in half.. I dont really NEED the money, but watching one child keeps me one my toes and makes me keep my house clean and all that kind of stuff..

I would say in Cali look into how much daycares charge around your ware for different age groups... if you really want to get kids in and oyu dont really need the money horribly bad, then cut that cost a bit.. you dont need to do it as drastically as me though (I watch VERY good friends kids... lol, i would do it for free).

here an infant is 115

a toddler 1 year old is 110

a toddler 2 year old is 105

a toddler 3 year old to five year old is 100

and after school care is about 75 a week..

you just need to look at what is normal for your area and decide how much you NEED to earn from this.

ssmommy454
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Usually if you are a certified provider, you get paid by the county ( like a paycheck ). I believe it is a set rate. You can still have self payees, but still need to stay in guidelines of county if you get certified. I don't know how much people charge in your area, but where I'm from average on the hour is 2.50/per child. I watch a few kids also, but I charge a flat rate per day. It's all in what you want to do. Good Luck!!

mommy2be33009
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:32 PM

I have my own home daycare.  I watch 4 kids total.  One is 6 and in 1/2 day kindergarten, then 2 are 6 and 9 and they are both in school all day, then I have a 11mo.  I charge 75 for half day and 125 for full day.  I pay for snacks for all of them, the 2 that are in school all day eat before they come but I give the other 6yo breakfast and lunch.  The mom brings lunches and formula for the 11mo.  I still do the snacks for the lil one and for all after school. 

As far as arts & crafts, I supply them with paper, coloring books, and crayons.  One a special occasion when they were out of school for Thanksgiving we made turkeys and fall trees, nothing too tricky, and over Christmas break we made gingerbread houses.  When my youngest gets a lil older we will do a lil more but for now she just likes to play and crawl around...

Theres is a group on here for Home Daycare Providers and Im sure they would give you some great advise.  Just be sure to get licenced and to have the parents sign a contract that you have gone over with them.  Nothing worse then getting screwed in the process of trying to help someone out.  Don't let parents walk over you.  As much as they are the childs parents you are their childcare provider. 

Good Luck to you and if you have any questions feel free to PM me...

pregnant belly                                  its a boy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)