Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could he have cracked his skull?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM
  • 11 Replies

OK, I know I am probably over-reacting but I am kind-of worried.  My 3 year old son just jumped in my face and hit his head on my tooth.  I was sitting on the couch and he came up in front of me and jumped straight up....the top of his head hit my front teeth and it made this really loud popping sound.  There is a little wound that is bleeding.  He is probably fine but I can't get that popping sound out of my head and it worries me that he may have cracked his skull a little.  He complains that it hurts, which it would because it is bleeding.  I was just wondering if anyone knew any symptoms I could look for so I can make sure he is really ok. Thanks

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChristinaR
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I am sure he is ok... You can always call the dr and ask... I think a harder blow to the head would crack a skull.. or you could always google it... good luck

CarlaD
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM

If he started trying to fall asleep or gets nauseous, those are head wound trauma signs. 

ErikaM27
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM

call your dr they might want to see him to make sure everything's ok. my son has hit me with his head right under my chin when he was playing with me and he was fine like the other person above mentioned I think it'll take a harder blow to crack his skull.

Profile Comments
sene1139
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Thanks.  His father thinks I am over-reacting...which I am...but I just want to make sure he is ok. 

Quoting ChristinaR:

I am sure he is ok... You can always call the dr and ask... I think a harder blow to the head would crack a skull.. or you could always google it... good luck

ErikaM27
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Quoting sene1139:

Thanks.  His father thinks I am over-reacting...which I am...but I just want to make sure he is ok. 

Quoting ChristinaR:

just keep an eye on him 

sene1139
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM

This is helpful info...thanks!

Quoting CarlaD:

If he started trying to fall asleep or gets nauseous, those are head wound trauma signs. 

ksinclair
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Quoting sene1139:

This is helpful info...thanks!

Quoting CarlaD:

I doubt that he got a concussion or cracked his skull from hitting your tooth, but another sign to check for is that both of his eyes are dilating at the same rate.  If you're really concerned (I am with you, I tend to over react too - hey, better safe than sorry!), give your doctor or local nurse line a call.

haydensmomma24
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM

When my son fell off the bed a while ago, the Dr. told me to watch for fluid doming from his nose, and ears. To check his pupils and to keep him awake for a couple hours.

*Ashley*  Wife to Willie, Mommy to Hayden and Step-Mom to Kaitie

abbymomof1
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:54 PM

he is ok. it takes a lot to crack a skull. my 18mo old ds fell off of the kitchen counter straight onto the linoleum floor and all he had was a mild concussion. my aunt told me if it feels squishy, he is overly tired, falling, vomiting or not acting himself to take him in. she is a nurse. she said it could mean that he cracked his skull and it is serious. so i would follow that. if those things are not happening just give him some tylenol and watch him. he probably just has a headache.

preview photopreview image

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    
 www.myspace.com/joslynnsky

bgstoner
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Just a heads up, because my hubby and his sisters have always been this way. When my MIL had to check their eyes for dilation she found out that each eye dilated at an odd rate in artificial light, but did fine in natural light. One eye being slower than the other is what I mean by odd.

Check in natural light if possible.

Quoting ksinclair:

I doubt that he got a concussion or cracked his skull from hitting your tooth, but another sign to check for is that both of his eyes are dilating at the same rate.  If you're really concerned (I am with you, I tend to over react too - hey, better safe than sorry!), give your doctor or local nurse line a call.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)