Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hairy legs and uni-brows

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: How did you or plan to handle this?

Options:

Wait until my child brings it up

Politely hint

other...please explain =)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

Lets just share stories/advice...no bashing please

ok, so a question for mommies with kids with hairy legs and/or uni-brows... how do you go about taking care of this? Or do you not? I was wondering if moms tell their kids (or hint) they should shave...or let their children come to them and then do something to help them feel more comfortable? and at what age? I know some kids are tough enough to handle teasing, others not so much...some kids and moms love "the natural" look, which is great also.  just curious as to how you have handled this or any experiences good/bad you may have had.  I have a 3 year old little girl, and I'm sure my time is coming! =)

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MONAinpa
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Be staight with them.  Don't wait till the last minute to start grooming.

TessyCat
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I will wait for her to bring up legs and underarm hair but the unibrow thing~ I will take her to a professional to take care of it and teach her how to. That is something that makes me gag and I think detracts from the childs appearance and eventually their self esteem. There are 2 girls in my DD's swimming class with unibrows and they would be gorgeous except for that. Everytime I see them all I can see is their eyebrow.

momintraining02
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Well my youngest is 4 and has  a unibrow-----I take care of it now--poor thing lol------it is not dark but noticeable---no need to let it go so that kids can make fun of her down the road---because we all know that kids can be mean...........I just make it out to be no big deal and tell her that mommy plucks her eyebrows too! 

Mom to Taylor and Alaina--Wife to my Best Friend--living life one day at a time!!!

ArasMom05
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:09 PM

That's cute =) I like your approach...my daughter also has a very light one too...I never want her to think mommy thinks something is wrong with you...I just wanted to find a way to approach it when the time is right for her...thanks for your response! =)

Quoting momintraining02:

Well my youngest is 4 and has  a unibrow-----I take care of it now--poor thing lol------it is not dark but noticeable---no need to let it go so that kids can make fun of her down the road---because we all know that kids can be mean...........I just make it out to be no big deal and tell her that mommy plucks her eyebrows too! 

Crystallynn
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:17 PM

my dd is 10.  She has been shaving her armpits for about 1.5 years.  Her legs are pretty hairy, but at 9, I didnt think that she was old enough to start shaving them.  She is blonde so its not that bad.  When she asks me if she can start shaving, then I will most likely let her 

SotilSol
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I think that plucking/waxing/hair removal and focusing on appearance so young is likely to give a girl a complex. 

I would wait until middle school, at least...that's when most girls start caring about their appearance enough.  If she didn't bring it up, I would suggest a fun makeover and teach her how to do those things.

I had a cold, distant stepmother, so I had to learn those things on my own, but I didn't even start caring until 6th or 7th grade. 

Until then, I say let kids be kids.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:21 PM

We do the uni-brows of all the girls in this family starting around age five.  The legs thing I will wait until it bothers them.

SGJsmom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I would wait until she was 12 or 13. The youngest would probably be 11, but I don't want to make her think that she isn't OK the way she is. My daughter doesn't have a uni-brow and she isn't that hairy, so I guess we lucked out.

fenders35
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Quoting SotilSol:

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I think that plucking/waxing/hair removal and focusing on appearance so young is likely to give a girl a complex. 

I would wait until middle school, at least...that's when most girls start caring about their appearance enough.  If she didn't bring it up, I would suggest a fun makeover and teach her how to do those things.

I had a cold, distant stepmother, so I had to learn those things on my own, but I didn't even start caring until 6th or 7th grade. 

Until then, I saylet kids be kids.

i agree with you my dd had a uni brow when born and do you know that she is now 7 and it has faded a little on its own she is aware of it but we dont make a big deal over it and i told her when she gets a little older we will start waxing or tweezing

ArasMom05
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Thanks ladies for the great and honest replies! =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)