Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much worse will it get? update

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM
  • 11 Replies

I just fell hard on our porch steps. It's raining out and our steps are painted. I went to drag the dog out and put on my husbands slippers (yeah not smart) and when I hit that second step my feet flew out from under me. My umbrella and the towel I took out with me to dry the dog off with went frying. I landed on my ass and my right forearm. I am in a lot of pain and was wondering if it is going to get worse. What can I do to help keep from getting stiff? Should I go to the doc or wait and see how I feel?

Well the pain is no where near what I thought I would have. I actually just feel like a had a really good workout! Thanks for all the help ladies!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine21pa
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I would go to the ER! You could of broke something!

thisnametaken
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Is it more pain than you've ever felt?  Do you feel like something broke or you only bruised badly?

I'd hate to tell you don't go in and then you'd turn out to have a broken arm.  :-)

What I would do myself, if the pain wasn't unbearable would be to take 800 mg of Motrin every four hours and then go to the doc if I didn't feel better in a day or two.

But that's because we have a two-thousand dollar deductible so it's not a medical opinion, just a cheapskate opinion.

I'm a toe-stubbing, coffee drinking, loud laughing, chocolate addicted, chunky mom with a totally inappropriate sense of humor.
Educated moms don't ASSume that parenting choices are one size fits all.

momfor2ndtime27
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I agree with her

Brooke501
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM

everything is working fine I just feel sore. I dont think I broke anything.

Quoting sunshine21pa:

I would go to the ER! You could of broke something!

Brooke501
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I dont feel like my arm is broken. My right shoulder just feels really sore. ( ifell on my right forearm) and my lower back is sore. It is not unbearable so I might just take your advice and see how I feel.

Quoting thisnametaken:

Is it more pain than you've ever felt?  Do you feel like something broke or you only bruised badly?

I'd hate to tell you don't go in and then you'd turn out to have a broken arm.  :-)

What I would do myself, if the pain wasn't unbearable would be to take 800 mg of Motrin every four hours and then go to the doc if I didn't feel better in a day or two.

But that's because we have a two-thousand dollar deductible so it's not a medical opinion, just a cheapskate opinion.

momof3319
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Put ice on it, twenty minutes on twenty minutes off for as long as you can stand it.  Make sure you have a towel in between the skin and the ice pack.  No ice pack, a bag of frozen veggies works great, especially peas.

CarlaD
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:04 PM

If you don't think it is broke, ice it and try to take it easy.  Take some ibuprophen (anti-inflammatory).  I did something very similar, only it was 3 steps that I went down.  Broke my foot. I went to on to work, I was coming out the door leaving for work, the wind swept me up and off the porch.  I limped around a bit but it kept getting worse.  It was broken.

Brooke501
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Now my entire arm from shoulder to wrist is throbbing. I am sure this is to be expected, right? 

thisnametaken
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:19 PM

It usually feels worse before it feels better.  :-)

I did the same thing once.  I was wearing my husband's slippers, started down the porch steps and they were icy.

I flew in the air and landed on the steps on my lower back.  I still have a cyst there from it.

I guess that's why they call them "slippers".  LOL

Quoting Brooke501:

Now my entire arm from shoulder to wrist is throbbing. I am sure this is to be expected, right? 

I'm a toe-stubbing, coffee drinking, loud laughing, chocolate addicted, chunky mom with a totally inappropriate sense of humor.
Educated moms don't ASSume that parenting choices are one size fits all.

Brooke501
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)