Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coumadin question

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

Im wondering if I can take clairatin with a bloodthinner? Im waiting for nurseone to call me back (thats a "hotline" that we have here to ask a nurse a question) But I think I need some clairatin, but Im not sure I can take it with warfarin. GOSH I cant wait till Im off this stuff!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jazzyandpat
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:28 PM

isnt coumadin a blood thiner it self??? i was on it before and i was not aloud to. i couldnt even eat anything that vitamin k in it let alone anything for a head ack

Tia_B
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:31 PM

yeah coumadin (warfarin) is a bloodthinner... but clairatin is a anti allergy medicine. So I dont know if I can take them at the same time because I am so limited on the meds I can take.

suesuenatsmom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Hey, I don't think there is a problem with that. My mom is on Comudin and has been for over a year now for a blood clot in her heart. The way her cardiologist told me as long as it does not have pseduophrine. You are safe. Also there is a website I can not think of the name of it right off but you can type in the names of medicines and it tells you if there is any reactions, side effects, etc.  Just a curious question, what are you taking it for? You look to young to be having to take it.

Making the best of it everyday. Jesicawe rock

lackingsleep
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:33 PM
I'm pretty sure it varies from one person to another. But for the most part I believe you are ok.
tamale102280
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Claritin is safe for you to take while on coumadin. My husband takes coumadin for a blood disorder and Claritin does not affect your pt/inr. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have anymore qeustions.

Tia_B
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I have been on it for 8 weeks I was in a car accident on December 12. We were hit by a drunk driver and among many many other injuries, my carotid artery was torn. So they put me on the thinner so I didnt have a stroke or die from a blood clot while I healed.

Quoting suesuenatsmom:

Hey, I don't think there is a problem with that. My mom is on Comudin and has been for over a year now for a blood clot in her heart. The way her cardiologist told me as long as it does not have pseduophrine. You are safe. Also there is a website I can not think of the name of it right off but you can type in the names of medicines and it tells you if there is any reactions, side effects, etc.  Just a curious question, what are you taking it for? You look to young to be having to take it.

tamale102280
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I'm sorry about your car accident. Are you healing okay? If you have more coumadin questions I can help you. I work at an office the manages coumadin levels for pt's plus I take care of my husbands. I know it's a pain.

Quoting Tia_B:

I have been on it for 8 weeks I was in a car accident on December 12. We were hit by a drunk driver and among many many other injuries, my carotid artery was torn. So they put me on the thinner so I didnt have a stroke or die from a blood clot while I healed.

Quoting suesuenatsmom:

Tia_B
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Yes I seriously hate taking it. But hopefully I will be ok to stop it after the 12th. Well, actually I stop taking iton the 8th until my angiogram on the 12th and from what they find out from there I will know if I have to keep taking it. Im healing better now. For the first 6 and a half weeks I was a serious mess. In constant pain and very miserable!! But the last week and a half or so i have been getting better.

Quoting tamale102280:

I'm sorry about your car accident. Are you healing okay? If you have more coumadin questions I can help you. I work at an office the manages coumadin levels for pt's plus I take care of my husbands. I know it's a pain.

Quoting Tia_B:

Quoting suesuenatsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)