Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

papasan swings and baby cocoons..should I? (HELP HELP HELP)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:01 PM
  • 41 Replies

I am expecting baby number two and trying to get together what I need for this one. With my daughter I just had the bare basics (crib, simple/hand-me-down bassinette, used swing....) So I am totally over my head with all of the baby stuff out there. I found these two items on the walmart.com website and they look fabulous! I wish I could have had them for my daughter...however, I dont want to waste money if they arent worth the 100+ bucks.

So...have you ever used either of these? Did you like it? Did it work like the description says it would? have you heard good things about either of these? Perhaps a different brand that would work better? ANYTHING!!! LOL

Item number 1:

Fisher-Price - Starlight Papasan Cradle Swing, Periwinkle

This fun and dreamy swing moves front to back and side to side, and has a comfy two-position seat with a nestlike feel. The mobile features three plush stars that float up and down and rotate. The overhead dome projects a starlight show above baby and onto the surrounding sheer canopy.

• Six soothing speeds
  • Three-point restraint
  • Sixteen songs total plus two sound effects
  • Rotating mobile with two distinct motions
  • Mobile includes three plush toys
  • Light show overhead projects onto canopy
  • Two swinging motions
  • Two music modes: morning and evening
  • Tailored sheer canopy
  • Comfy, cozy papasan seat
  • In battery mode, swing requires four "D" (LR20) alkaline batteries (not included)
  • Can be plugged in to any standard wall outlet with included AC adaptor
  • Two postion recline
  • Frame folds easily for storage
  • Maximum weight: 25 lbs

Item number 2:

Arm's Reach - Beautiful Dreamer Cocoon, Aqua

Help baby sleep better, with this breakthrough hammock sleeper! It continues the feeling of the womb, so newborns feel more secure. It cradles baby closely and gently sways in response to baby's movement.

• Arm's Reach Beautiful Dreamer Cocoon cradles baby closely and gently sways in response to baby's movement
  • Back is adjustable, it's a great solution for little ones with colic or reflux
  • Naturally stimulates and entertains baby while awake
  • Facilitates nap time
  • Physician recommended
  • Includes deluxe fitted sheet, mattress pad and soft hanging toys
  • May be moved easily around the house; metal frame disassembles easily for travel
  • For Newborn up to 23 lbs
  •  

Also, if you all have anything helpful to add about what to get for baby number 2 (I have a crib....but will be using a bassinette/co-sleeper for at least the first 3-6 months) I have to start all over...

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:01 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    mama2jarednrae
    by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM

We are hoping for #3...and I really like the cocoon so I hope someone has something to say on it!!  Here is a bump!

Jacintha
    by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I never used any of this but here is a bump for you. And I would like to know myself. I need to get somestuff for baby #3.

laceysmom612
    by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I think they're both really neat, but you should check the weight limit on them. Lacey loved her swing. She had the aquarium swing with lights and all. It was a lifesaver.

* I LOVE that it can be plugged in. That's awesome!

BlessedMommy530
    by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:10 PM

We had the Papasan with my son, and it was worth its weight in gold!! I got it when he was 3 or 4 months old, and it was the first time he slept 4 hours straight. Ours was a different "version" though. It was tan, and didn't have the net thingy around it. But, my recommendation would be to BUY IT!!! (:

Athenas_mom
    by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:10 PM

My DD loved her papasan swing so much that she slept in for the first 3 months or her life (I was really broke when I had her and couldn't afford a bassinet). It was a life saver when she would get really sick cause she'd want to be held all day and night and the swing just surrounded her and made her feel like she was being held.

Take a guess...have some fun...see if you win.
    http://www.expectnet.com/games/NoahHayse

ladydeanie
    by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I have a seven week old. I started over when I had her as well because my youngest is 12. I have the butterfly papasan swing which is just like the starlight one and my seven week old loves it. I think it is one of the better swings out there. I would say starlight is worth your money if you got it. Try going to babyuniverse.com. They have the best prices around including better than walmart prices. I got the butterfly papasan with shipping for under $100. I am getting her highchair and stroller from that site too.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
    boyx3
    by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Quoting BlessedMommy530:

We had the Papasan with my son, and it was worth its weight in gold!! I got it when he was 3 or 4 months old, and it was the first time he slept 4 hours straight. Ours was a different "version" though. It was tan, and didn't have the net thingy around it. But, my recommendation would be to BUY IT!!! (:

I agree!! The papasan side to side swing was the greatest!

Michelle2003mom
    by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I had this one for my last baby. So worth it!!!! She loved it. So did I!!! 

Edit: this is the butterfly papasan swing.

julionna_lion
    by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Thank you!

Quoting mama2jarednrae:

We are hoping for #3...and I really like the cocoon so I hope someone has something to say on it!!  Here is a bump!

julionna_lion
    by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Thank you!

Quoting Jacintha:

I never used any of this but here is a bump for you. And I would like to know myself. I need to get somestuff for baby #3.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)