Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying a new car, need suggestions on what to get..

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:38 PM
  • 20 Replies

I need an SUV or a small wagon. I don't have much $$, just my tax return. Does anyone have any suggestions as to make/model I should look for. I need lots of storage and good gas milage. Please help...

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zantonysmom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:51 PM

No one has any suggestions? 

jennymitchell
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I have heard Kias are pretty reliable and they're reasonably priced.  I don't have any personal experience with them though.  I want to get a 2001 Suburban.  Suburbans aren't cheap, though, and they don't get the best gas mileage, but I need the space.

zantonysmom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Quoting jennymitchell:

I have heard Kias are pretty reliable and they're reasonably priced.  I don't have any personal experience with them though.  I want to get a 2001 Suburban.  Suburbans aren't cheap, though, and they don't get the best gas mileage, but I need the space.

Thanks. Suburbans are too big for me, I'd probably hit every car on the road--lol. Right now I'm driving a Ford Explorer, but it's my SIL's, It's about as big as I can comfortably drive. But I'll lok into Kia. My step-mom has one, but I haven't even bothered to ask her how she likes it.

Brooke501
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 12:02 AM

I would look into ford freestyle or the edge. I dont know how much they run but I love the new flex. If they are too much maybe check into a saturn. 

mauikat91
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Jeep has a couple of reasonably priced smaller SUV types. The Compass & one other one. I sat in the Compass it was cute. I had to get the 4 door Jeep Wrangler unlimited though! I'm on my 2nd Jeep good brand I would say!

zantonysmom
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Jeep IS good, but how expensive are they to maintain? My Dh and I will do most of our vehicle maintainence on our own, but sometimes parts are either hard to come by or too expensive. I had a Subaru wagon, which I LOVED, but when my radiator busted, it cost me $150 plus shipping (b/c I couldn't find it locally, that was another $60). We are on a tight budget, and when a car has a problem, like a radiator that on some models might cost $60 to replace, on others cost $210, it's easier to work a budget to pay for the smaller amount.

sammyreymom
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Check out the websites like cars.com or autotrader.com.  That is where we started looking for our suv and van.  We ended up getting a Suzuki Grand Vitara for a pretty good price.  For our family now it is getting small, but it worked at the time.  The gas mileage isn't any worse than a car right now.  We bought it used it is nine years old now, but in really good shape.  There was no way we could afford new.

hopeless87
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 6:55 AM

I have a saturn vue! it is a midsize suv it gets great gas mileage and it comes with onstar! i really love it and it has enough storage !!! they are very good priced. we bought ours brand new for $21,000 and my insurance went way down because its a safe car!

MommaM2
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 9:36 AM

We have a '02 Jeep Liberty and at first it was great! But I would never buy a Jeep again unless it had a full warranty!!! It seems like every month something needs fixed whether it's a small thing or a big thing. We take care of our vehicles to promote longer 'life' but unfortunately it doesn't matter. It has taken more $$ than my first 2 cars put together!! In my past experience, and in the near future I hope, Hondas have been excellent! In fact, when we can we are for sure 'trading up'.

foxytia_83
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 9:38 AM

not to be nosey but to help you out, how much money did you get back on tax returns?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)