Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has any one had a hernia, and been pregnant?(PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:17 AM
  • 6 Replies

I found out at my drs appt yesterday that i have a hernia, and i was just wondering  if any one has had a hernia while pregnant, or had a hernia at all? and how do they fix it....dr says that they cant do anything until after the baby is born...and what does that mean for the labor and birth..i know it will still be natural, but will it hurt more bc of it and all that...thanks

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
emmasmama2007
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:21 AM

i'm sorry, but i have a stupid question, if you don't mind me asking

what exactly is a hernia? (i've heard of em before, but i don't know)

embarrassed

youngmum1234
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Honestly im not quite sure what it is exacly, bc it wasnt explained to me, but i think that its part of your ab muscle displaced, thats what i have hurd ne how

Quoting emmasmama2007:

i'm sorry, but i have a stupid question, if you don't mind me asking

what exactly is a hernia? (i've heard of em before, but i don't know)

embarrassed

Brandy.B
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:26 AM

I have had a hiatal hernia (and multiple ulcers) since I was 15. I have had two kids. They did an EGD after my first baby and the ulcers had healed but hernia was still there and they said they wouldn't do anything about it. Weirdly enough I don't know much about hernias except they are usually caused by strain on muscles like lifting heavy things. :shrugs:

I am a non-sugar coating, breastfeeding, church-going Christian, Childhood Abuse surviving, anti-death penalty, pro-life, disposable diapering, young LOVING mama of two, Madison Liliana Faye (6/20/07) and Isabelle Serenity Rose (11/12/08) and married to the best man in the world, my Samuel. :) Don't limit me to my signature characteristics and I won't limit you to yours. This is just the beginning. :)

Brandy.B
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:27 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatus_hernia

Says generally no treatment is required.

I am a non-sugar coating, breastfeeding, church-going Christian, Childhood Abuse surviving, anti-death penalty, pro-life, disposable diapering, young LOVING mama of two, Madison Liliana Faye (6/20/07) and Isabelle Serenity Rose (11/12/08) and married to the best man in the world, my Samuel. :) Don't limit me to my signature characteristics and I won't limit you to yours. This is just the beginning. :)

prue2012
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:32 AM

a hernia is a hole in your stomach lining.  i have had many.  mine started when i had my gallbladder taken out.  the did where they go thru the belly button well they didn't sew up my belly button they just staped it.  well i got a hernia.  it's dangersous you intestines can come thur and get tangled and die can be life threatening.  the first time they fixed it they just fixed it.  i did get pg after that had no problems first time fixed was in 97.  ok in 2001 i had 2 hernia's this time went in and put a mesh implant in.  did good.  had weight loss surgery 5 years ago lost 160 pounds mess implanet went to nothing and i had 4 large hernias again.  this happend be 2 years ago in june.  well i didn't know that what it was so i sufffered all day with it. well my intestines came thru all 4 hernia's and was up in my rib cage. i had to have emer. surgery to fix.  now i am good.  doctor did say can't say i won't get again but you never know.  you can also get hernia's from staining from lifting i have heard going to the bathroom.  but i have had 3 surgery's so far from it and i hope the last one is the last one.  just be careful don't lift.  sometimes if you get your intestines strangulated you can push it back in.  surgery was ok it's tough and it hurts its' your stomach muscles.  good luck if you want to know anything esle just ask.

Kestrel1
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:08 AM

Depends on where the hernia is.  I've currently got an epigastric, which is a few inches above my belly button.  From about 20 weeks to 30 weeks it was a real bitch, because the top of your uterus pushes bits of your abdominal tissue through the hole.  When I would eat, it would make it worse.

It started off as severe pain around my belly button when I would eat at about 16-18 weeks pregnant.  One day I was pushin on it, and felt something slip, and it moved back through the hole and the pain stopped - till it slipped through again.

So long as you can push the tissue back through the hole, you're alright.  Should it get stuck and not be able to move back through, then you would need to go to the hospital and they would have to do something to free the tissue and move it back in.

Once your uterus moves upwards past the hole, then you'll have less pain from it, and delivery shouldn't be much different with it than without it. 

Repairing it while your abs are still expanding is a bad idea, because the fix involves putting a bit of mesh across the outer side of your abdominal muscles, which would interfere with them stretching to make room for being pregnant.

After you're done, it DEFINITELY needs to be fixed, because it will continue to get worse as you get older and as your abdominal wall weakens the hole will get bigger, and more tissue will protrude, as well as with subsequent pregnancies.  I got mine with my second pregnancy, (two pregnancies very close together weakened the abdominal wall) but with this third pregnancy it became noticeable and much more painful.

This video is an untreated hernia in an older woman.

The photo is a severe untreated epigastric hernia.  Get through your pregnancy, and then get in and get it taken care of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)