Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You're annoyed at me because I....throw things away???

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:12 AM
  • 20 Replies

Seriously, this drives me husband ape shit! I hate clutter, and if something has been sitting in a closet for over a year without being touched I toss it. Obviously if it's something reusable or useful I keep it. But things like old half broken toys, stuffed animals, clothes, really hideous gifts I've gotten from my MIL long enough ago that I can throw em out without her noticing lol. 

DH, on the other hand, refused to let me throw out about 50 *empty* cd cases (he keeps all his cd's in one of those booklet things) that he literally didn't even know we had until I started walking to the dumpster with them. His half of the closet is overtaking my half, although he only wears about 20 of the shirts he owns (if I had to guess, I'd say there are at least 100 hanging that he hasn't touched in a good 2 years) and he refuses to get rid of any of it. Along with the 20+ pairs of jeans that are either too small or full of holes. 

Now really, of all the pet peeves to have...you'd think he could come up with something better!

Oh, P.S. his mom throws away NOTHING. They're "office" door won't even open because it's so jam packed with crap lol. Along with the garage they can't use because it's full of junk, and the basement.  

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stacie-Kim
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:13 AM

I am gonna admit i diodn't read your whole post but I am with dh But I hate that about myself...

shooting photokissing dad      

KittyD
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:14 AM

sometimes you have to do what you have to do without asking/his permission...thats all im saying :p

KittyD ~ Stop By My Page & Sign my Guest Book!

mstnbecki
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:15 AM

My SO is the same way,He swears the minute i throw it out he will need it for something.My yard is full of broking lawnmowers and motorcycles and stuff.he tells me you never know when you could use a part of one of them.;I HATE IT

JudeandLucy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Quoting KittyD:

sometimes you have to do what you have to do without asking/his permission...thats all im saying :p

Oh I know! You wouldn't believe the shit I've had to sneak out to the dumpster after he's in bed or at work lol.

To the first response, we have NO storage in the duplex we rent, so keeping a bunch of useless stuff means we have to store it in DD or DS's closet, under the bed, in the coat closet, etc.  

MRS.LEVY
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:19 AM

My DH saves everything also.I wait till he is gone,then I bring to the church.His LM same way.Learned Behavior LOL

TrezsMom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:04 AM

Scott throws everything away. He gets in these really meticulous cleaning moods, sometimes, lol. Which is fine, whatever, but he has often thrown things away of mine that I really wanted. That's where it gets annoying to me. I had put my botox lipsitck away, so I thought, for safekeeping, lol, and he threw it away because it wasn't in with my other make-up stuff. He also threw away a little flower pendant thing that I was going to glue back onto a Juicy Couture sandal that he had accidentally stepped on and broken off.

Lol, those were the two most annoying and from time to time it pops into my head, lol. I tell him now, just to let me go through my own things and decide what I want and don't want. Lol.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:06 AM

You could throw like one pair of jeans away every 2 weeks...he might not notice...

bablondie
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:08 AM

I'm like you. I hate stuff. and crap. Like old McDonald's toys and stuff. It's gotta go! I have to go through DD's room when she's gone. She doesn't notice, but then a couple years later,asks where's this or that.

You need to get that one person from Oprah in that makes you "let go of crap" to organize the home.

Rule I have here and that guy on oprah has is similiar. if you haven't used it in ONE YEAR, it goes to Goodwill, yard sale, consignment or if it's broken or unusuable, it gets thrown out. Oprah's guy I think says 6 months, the HGTV shows are like 6 months and I've heard people say 2 years. But that's a good rule of thumb.

Think about all the new crap brought in at xmastime. so that much stuff and then some needs to go out of the house b4 xmastime. otherwise it's just 2x as much crap. LOL

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:16 AM

I need more of your willpower. I have a small home and not a lot of storage space.  Could box up some of those clothes that don't fit and ut them in garage or basement or shed if  you have one. 

So what did he want to do with those empty CD cases?  Can understand having one pair of pants and shirt that might have a hole as can use it for painting.  But only one.    He probably gets the pack rat syndrome from his mom.  I pay almost $200 for stuff we have stored in a rented shed(s).  We had bigger house and downsized to smaller, but paid to ship stuff as i didn't have time to sell it where we were and had an apartment where we lived while we sold house and afterwards.  Well paid a lot of money to move and now still paying to store it.  But health was such that I couldn't get it cleaned out.  Go back there in summer (have cottage and mobile home - 2 states - and hope this summer to get things cleared out of at least one shed and save a few bucks.  Or find an auctioneer.  Furniture and stuff are deteriorating and becoming junk fast.  And sure can't sell antique mahogany table and chairs in Arkansas as well as it would have sold in northern Ohio.  I wish I had sold it, saved the moving money and then bought new things to fit the smaller interior.  Still have a mess in there as well as in storage because the furniture doesn't fit right. I have bigger stuff and smaller rooms.

So guess next time you need to toss out things when he  is not there, but only if there a year.  It bugs me when DH throws things of mine out. He got rid of a food processor because I had a blender and he thought it was the same.  He says he put in the shed but we never do find things he puts away (or rarely do).  He forgets where he puts things.  We do have separate closets so that is no problem.  I'd tell him he is restricted to his side of closet and ask him what he wants to get rid of.  Tell him to take it to his moms and store it there!

MissInvisible
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM
Dh and I are both like that with certain things. His is paper. It irritates the crap out of me that he tosses all the kids school papers. He'll keep the art projects, but the papers go. We finally had to compromise. They put their papers in an inbox type holder by the desk. At the end of each semester we go through it and toss most of it. I'm that way with clothes and toys and it annoys dh to no end. If we don't wear it, or its so ratty it can't be worn out of the house I toss it. This man still had sweaters he wore in 8th grade! Sadly, he still fit them lol. I'd toss them and they would magically reappear! He would actually dig them out of the trash or go buy them back from Goodwill! And the toys, those just have to go. Every summer when the kids go visit Gramma I clean their rooms. I keep the new stuff from birthdays and the past Christmas, and the things they really play with often. The rest disappears before they come home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)