Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I LOVE my new sewing machine!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:42 AM
  • 9 Replies

I haven't touched a sewing machine since my 8th grade Home Ec. class but have been really wanting to get one and just mess around with things!! Well I finally did it the other night and I LOVE it-

So I stopped at the store and got some fabric and a pattern for a dress (I didn't want to make the dress but an art smock for my dd and couldn't find one so thought I"d improvise)  SO I was off and ready to sew!  Opened the box and thought................OH CRAP!  I forgot how to thread it, forgot there was even such a thing as bobbin let alone what to do with it!  After a LONG night......I finally got it threaded and figured out the bobbin deal and have been sewing ever since! 

Any one have any cute ideas for me to get some practice?  I've made curtains for my dd bedroom, 2 art smocks and a crayon holder...............ideas anyone? 

Now remeber I'm a beginner!  And I haven't been using patterns except for the smock (whick was a dress pattern!) 

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jamiesuev22
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:46 AM

HAD TO ADD THIS ONE!!!  She Loves it and hates to take it off-

bablondie
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:47 AM

geez, you're a beginner and did all that and that well? Wow, good job!

Shoot, you could do curtains for your whole house, table cloths, christmas presents (aprons for everyone?), pillow covers for your couch to cover old throw pillows, pillow case covers for the bed, dresses for any little girls you know for gifts, pot holders, QUILTS (this would be my favorite!!), I'll think of more.

21noahsmama21
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:48 AM

How about spicing up your living room and recovering some pillows?  Or making pillow shams for your bed?  Or get some scraps and bolt ends and make throw blankets and quilts!  Good job, I can't wait to get my hands on my machine again!

21noahsmama21
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:49 AM

SUCH a CUTIE!!!

Quoting jamiesuev22:

HAD TO ADD THIS ONE!!!  She Loves it and hates to take it off-

jamiesuev22
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Quoting bablondie:

geez, you're a beginner and did all that and that well? Wow, good job!

Shoot, you could do curtains for your whole house, table cloths, christmas presents (aprons for everyone?), pillow covers for your couch to cover old throw pillows, pillow case covers for the bed, dresses for any little girls you know for gifts, pot holders, QUILTS (this would be my favorite!!), I'll think of more.

Thanks!!  I'm thinking quilt, I just don't feel like I'm ready for that yet?  I"ll have to look into that for sure!! 

bablondie
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:05 AM

ah now I remember, you can sew Ipod holders, glasses holders, little wallets or coin purses with zippers or snaps, little makeup bags or clutches.

You can move on to sew leggings for toddlers (or babies for crawling knee pads), baby slippers/shoes,

Sew initials on personalized bath towels (for gifts?), tissue cozies, burp cloths for new moms, breast pads for breastfeeding moms, fingerless gloves for a teen,

workgoat
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:09 AM

Us girls just have to have a sewing machine! Can't live without mine now! I have one window in my bathroom and had a valance and two curtains, well i needed curtains for my newly decorated bedroom and half bath which had 2 windows and of course the bath--this is what i did. I turned the curtains sideways leaveing it doubled with a layer and sewed a hem for the rods and made valances for the two windows and sewed gold trim on the top layer-----

--folded-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-hem for rod------------------------------------------------------------------------

-gold trim ect.------------------------------------------------------------------------

--bottom----------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not have to sew sides, just gathered a whole lot and it covered up end. Then i took the orginal valance and sewed it to a stray valance and made it longer, both were lace but different colors--then put big old clip-on earrings on valance gathered up. Sheets make good curtains! 

workgoat
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:38 AM

Have you seen the remote holder that you put over the couch or chair? It is a square sewed with pocket and i think a hem at one end to fill up with rice or beans to make it stay in place. You could make couch and chair arm covers all matching with the holder on both or one. and matching pillows. I love my bedroom now. I found my furniture 2 dressers and 2 endtables and 1 chesterdrawer for 50.00 for all last year in paper, farnished them and done touchups, like brand new! I bought 2 off-white lamps for 2.00 at thrift store 10 years ago and had them in garage. I had to buy shades though at Biglots. I went through the house and pulled things out that would go with the theme, prayed for a bedspread "that was give to me that week" and now i have a Japanese bedroom! Sooooooooooo neat!!!!! I feel like i am in a hotel room! HA!!! I set-up beside a woman at a church yard sale. She made those blankets that you cut and tie around the edges "no sew" and she made a killing! They were all football but a few little girl prints. She was there 3 hours and sold out! I think i will do this next fall. I made bluejean pocket books and never sold a one, so i gave them away for Christmas! Ahhh well i just got excited. Let us know what you make next!!!  I started sewing cause i wanted doll clothes for Barbie when i was 10. Good luck! Bet your Husband is proud, i know your dauther is. Men love the cooking and sewing real-live Barbie!!!          

jamiesuev22
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM

YOu have great ideas!!!  Love them.  Whats the bluejean pocket purse thing?  SOunds cute! Now I'm inspired to start working on some projects for our bedroom!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)